Feb 25, 2001
Ill try to make this short. I was in the backyard trying to do wheelies that I normally can do on a track on a good striaghtaway. Anywho I just couldnt get the front end up. When I pulled into the shed and pulled out the chain lube I noticed that one of the teeth was missing from my countershaft sproket on the motor. I dont know what could cause a tooth to fall off its the stock sprocket on my 2001 cr 125. Besides what caused it would this hurt my motor ? I dont know how long it has been like this but I just would like to know if this did any harm to the shaft or any parts in the motor when missing a tooth on the sprocket ?:mad:

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
hurt the motor? nah.

it prolly toasted your chain though:think As long as the chain didnt slip off the sprocket, it wont hurt your motor. It has fairly good chance with teeth missing though. I would replace it asap, even if you have to use a six dollar rocky mountain sprocket..:eek:

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I dont know what could cause a tooth to fall off its the stock sprocket

Could it be worn out? ;)

You can probably just replace the front sprocket but don't be surprised if the chain and rear sprocket are also junk.

Hope this helps.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
One tooth missing won’t kill you. I’ve seen much worse.

Attachments

• sprocket1.jpg
    sprocket1.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 512

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
That sprocket was on my boys RM125 for a long time. It was during a period of time where he was suppose to be doing the maintenance. :eek:

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
When I quickly read the title of this thread, "Teeth Missing . . . " I initially thought this was another post about ATV riders. My mistake. :p

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
When I quickly read the title of this thread, "Teeth Missing . . . " I initially thought this was another post about ATV riders. My mistake.

LMAO

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by yzeater
RMguy, have you taught your son anything about dirt bikes???
LOL
He's not the most mechanically inclined person I know but he can ride. He’s way faster than me and I really don’t mind working on his bike for him when I have the time. He’s broken more things trying to fix it than when just riding.

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
He’s way faster than me and I really don’t mind working on his bike for him when I have the time

That gives you the chance to equalize the playing field:debil:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
that sprocket isn't that bad RM_guy, my buddy came back from a ride with zero teeth on his front sprocket ('88 RM125), god only knows how the bike pulled him the rest of the way back (he ain't a small boy neither) :scream:

Feb 25, 2001
Hey guys im thinking of putting a 13/53 on the bike 13/52 came stock what difference will I see with this one more tooth on the rear ? Im loosing the guys on the striaghtaways ...and I cant get those jumps straight out of a corner im loosing on both ends.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
someone correct me if I'm wrong here :silly:
but adding onto the rear sprocket will make the bike slower, but give better low speed, this won't help you with your straightaway issues but it might help you get out of the corners better.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
If I'm right, it would be helpful to add teeth to the rear sprocket. SMB is right that it will slow down the top end speed, but I don't believe that your track has 5th gear wfo straightaways. You'll accelerate faster with another tooth, and you'll be able to catch those guys on the straightaways if you just shift a gear higher than normal.

Feb 25, 2001
Thanx Yz eater...yeah we have 2 tracks that I go to that have 5th gear wide open sections but they are uphill and you only hold it WFO breafly maybe 3-4 seconds then you let off and the bike basically comes to a stop because its such a soft uphill...its like loamy soil with sand mixed in. But anywho I beleive I will go with a 53 rear sprocket over the stock 52. I need that excelleration out of the corners to pull a move on the other guys.

Top Bottom