KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
EDIT: TIME SET AS 6:00 pm, LOCATION MONTMORENCY COUNTY COURT HOUSE.

After a few failed attempts to speak with our local Sheriff, he and I finally hooked up. He informed me that the upcoming public forum on ORV Road use in Montmorency County is set for March 28th. Specific time undetermined, but some time 6:00 to 7:00 range. I will update here when I hear of an exact time and meeting location. As luck would have it, I am scheduled out of town that day, but might be able to make it last minute, or a bit after it starts up.

Anyone who can make it to this - please do! It is a public forum - and while I am sure the primary intent is the locals - a showing of ORV users might be good as well. I am going to what I can to make sure some local supporters show up as well.

The Sheriff, Doug Baum and I had a chance to speak at length on this topic. It is clear he is 100%...make that 1000% behind keeping road use of ORVs legal in this county. He is also quite ticked off at some of the tatics it seems the DNR tried to use. Reading between the lines, I think his concern is the County Commisioners may be more likely to bow to the DNR pressures.

His desire seems to be to make sure to educate the public, as well as to get their input and viewpoints on this topic. He is very adamant about the positive economic impact ORVs have in this area, he also clearly sees the family values, keeping the kids doing health family things as key reasons to make sure it is easy to use an ORV in this area. He is a realist, and acknowledges there are idiots who will do the wrong thing, and that he and his department deal with complaints etc. - essentially bear the brunt of all the possible negatives. Inspite of that - he is totally behind this as the positives clearly outweight those negatives.

When I asked him about what opponents he sees in this area - he said he is aware of a few tree hugger types, but not a strong force so to speak. He also commented that the board of one local township is opposed - the township where Lewiston is located. And, while he did not specifically say so, I think he is concerned about a few County Commissioners.

Doug was quite glad to hear the offer of assistance from the CCC and AMA folks as well.

I will update this thread as I learn anything new.

Last edited:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Tom - check your yahoo email account...you've got mail! Crank up the AMA and CCC dog and pony show!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Now heres a meeting I would LOVE to attend!!!!!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
INCA said:
----and I could stop by and pick you up.

YT

and I could arrange for some floor/couch space accomodations... just LMK!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Time And Location Has Been Set

6:00 Pm Montmorency County Courthouse Be There

Top Bottom