Mr. Wilkey-- and other tuners who have input on KTM

brentl

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 19, 2002
I'm wanting to go with 250 SX ....but what about suspension?

I will use the bike for serious motocross...I weigh 175 and am an "agressive" rider

If for example the 05 RM/YZ is taken as the benchmark for stock suspension .... say 10 out of 10.....where would an 05 SX be?

What would it take to bring it up to par with the new RM/YZ if possible?

What I think I'm hearing is that even when reworked by MX - Tech it won't be as good as the stock Japanese stuff.

Opinions?

I'm on a 01 RM250 now . I've ridden both a 04 250SX and a 04 450SX.....both seemed to be soft and bottom a lot...... but they're not 05's which is supposed to be a lot better. Also I did not adjust the clickers as they were not my bikes....on my RM they don't do much good anyway ( needed to change valving stack)

Thanks for any input!!

Last edited:

KaBooM

Jan 12, 2004
brentl said:
What I think I'm hearing is that even when reworked by MX - Tech it won't be as good as the stock Japanese stuff.

Thanks for any input!!

Yes it will. MX-Tech will definately make a difference.
Shimming and springs are what make suspension perform better.
175lbs dry is light, but with gear you probably around 190lbs. and being an aggressive rider probably puts you on the list for a next level stiffer spring like a .46kg. I have found a huge difference changing the springs.
As far as stock jap bikes suspension, I have rode all of them and traded riders on all of them and they all absolutely love my ktm the way it rides, handles and so on and so on.
Dont take my opinion on it, just ride your ride and go with what feels good to you. If you decide ORANGE, you made a very wise choice.

Good Luck, KaBooM aka Rob Browning

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
I am 190 lbs. And have a 04 250sx it was very soft stock. I have the front and back revalved, and a new progressive rate spring put in the back. It can really take a licking now. very rarely bottoms out. KTMs are very sensitive to setup, (sag, clickers). Take time to work with it and spend a little money. Mine cost about 450.00 dollars. But KTM's have alot more moneys worth than that in nice parts. Not to mention that they are the most powerful and lightest out of the box, So I guess you just have to choose what to spend your money on. It is nice to have a KTM MX bike at the track though, there are not alot of them out there. You will like it, just send your stuff to MX Tech and you will be ready to race.

korte500

Dec 8, 2002
mx tech is awesome!

I raced an 04 450 sx at a rough track in michigan that had the suspenion done by mxtech. my bike had broken the day before. mine had stock suspension. got there late, missed practice. been racing there for 12 years, not much different.
i know the rough spots, and when i came down this hill in 4th gear hitting braking bumps, while in 3rd place, i was amazed at how it stayed down, so i kept it pinned. i was 10 bike lenghts behind. the guys in front of me had slowed too much and i ran into one of em. fell.. found out later they had gotten stopped because of the roughness. not this bike!! i was soo pumped with the suspension, i didnt even care about falling. got back up to get 2nd.
thanks to bob mugans ktm and mxtech. if i ride ktms next year, i would gladly pay, when i normally can get a deal..
korte

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
I have never had any complaints with the turning on mine, I think it is just something you get used, I know a guy with a 05 250sx he also had a 04, he says his 05 turns better, just like a honda or yamaha he says. I have not ridden it yet, but like I say I am very happy with mine the way it is.

Top Bottom