Need help on deciding what equipment to buy?

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
I am new to dirt biking and need some help on buying equipment. So far I have a helmet, pants and a jersey. The items I still need to get are boots, chest protector, knee pads, and elbow pads. I am on a modest budget, but don't want to sacrafice protection. I would appreciate any suggestions for the about items.

Thanks

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Boots are going to be expensive, you'll just have to accept it. More protection will cost you more money. That said, for max protection, Sidis are probably the ones. There is a balance to be had between protection and feel though, so keep in mind what you want to do with them. For MX/SX go for max protection, stiff soles, etc. For woods work, protection is important, but I also find feel to be more critical and may sway your decision.

I like chest protectors with suspended shoulders, like HPR style. These are made by a wide variety of manufacturers, from Fox to TLD. I just find they provide greater impact protection for the shoulders in a crash.

Elbow and knee pads are very personal preferance. The biggest issue with elbow pads is getting them to stay put. Some ziptie them to their chest protectors.

The other option would be a "body armour" style rig. I think if you look over in the "products" forum, you will find a post recently on this type. Their available from a couple of sources, but all appear similar in design and include, chest and shoulder protection, spine protection (excellent option that gives this type the jump on most other CPs).

Hope this helps.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom