Kinna

Aug 6, 2003
I've been looking for a bike awhile now and I'm fairly new (to new bikes at least.) I've been riding old bikes for awhile now which is fun enough but I want to be able to keep up with my friends on their new bikes (various 125's). I've been riding a 1974 Yamaha TY-250 and a 1979 Bultaco Frontera (both 2 stroke 250s) I'm 16 years old and 6'2 and i feel that i can handle these bikes fairly well even though they're nowhere near new MX bikes. I've been saving up now and been looking at all the new 04 250F's. It seems that these would be nice for riding around my house and the farms and also riding with my friends on the track ocassionaly. I want the high quality equipment of the mx bikes and lightness but also the quietness and ease of a 4 stroke for riding around the many trails around my house. So the question is:

Would any of the new 250f's make a good bike for a beginner on (NEW) bikes. I totally understand and am comfortable on the older bikes i ride now.

Also which would you recommend between all the bikes..Right now i'm interested in the new Honda crf250 and the Kawasaki kxf250. Another option would be to get a 02 or 03 Yamaha yz250f and mod it out with the extra cash.

What would you recommend :) thanks for hearing me out

MxKid512

Feb 10, 2001
The YZ250F is the only "proven" design out there now, but none of the manufacturers will release a real time bomb. I really like the looks of the RMZ, and if I were looking at a 250 4 stroke for '04 it would be worth serious consideration (not too sure about that 1 piece water pump/ oil filter though) If you want the newest and coolest bike on the track, go with a new design (of course you'll be at the bottom of the waiting list by now) If you want to ride tomorrow and have boatloads of parts at you hands then go YZ.

Me, I'm waiting for the KTM 250RFS (please be a late 04 model) to go with my 450SX :)

falcon1

Mar 20, 2003
Just a couple suggestions. The four strokes are not quieter than 2 strokes. I have an AMA district track right across my house and let me tell ya, you can hear them well over the 125s and 250s. Also, the 4 strokes are less frequent maintenence than the 2 strokes but when you have to dive into them for R@R it can get alot more $$$.

Kinna

Aug 6, 2003
Yeah, People just now are starting to tell me that 4 strokes sound carries further. I'm almost positive that isnt true with my older bikes from the 70's :(

coleman

Jan 4, 2003
Depends on the muffler the bike has I think. You can hardly hear a stock wr250f but you can hear a stock yz250f from a mile away.

Top Bottom