Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
hey, i saw in a car magazine that someone had a 1992 camaro with only 5k miles, and supposedly never been in rain either,,,and still has stock tires...
can a car this old still be good quality and very driveable? and not coming unglued due to age?

by they way, it was for a low price of only 18,500.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You can't be serious.
Young man, you have alot to learn.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Why would anyone on Earth want a harley? I doubt it's possible that a 92 has only 5000 miles on it and has never been driven in the rain. About the stock tires, I have an 84 Civic with the stock tires (184 000km) on it, so it is possible.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
It's possible, but the only way it would be worth anything is if they followed proper procedures for storing the vehicle.  5000 miles in 11 years is about 450 miles per year.  That's about 38 miles per month.  That would be about the minimum to keep the car in running condition.  They would have to keep the car on a regular and strict procedure of operation and storage for the entire 11 years.  That is highly doubtful.  And it sure ain't worth $18000!!!!!  Sheesh it wasn't even that much new, and definately isn't a rare item.

Ditto on what Jaybird said!

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
The price is a definite rip off. I bought a new V6 Camaro in '96 and it was only slightly more than that. You can do a lot more with your $18k than spend it on a 10 year old car.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
If you wanna spend 18K on something from '92, I got a nice Chevy pickup that I'll make you a swingin' deal on!

Now that I think about it, though, maybe that's a 25th anniversary edition. They were pretty trick.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'd love to have that Vin on the car, just for kicks. Why the heck was it stored for all those years, maybe so it will drop out of the system?:think:

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
one thing about buying a show car for me to drive, is i'll lose big on the resale, thats for sure, i'd be better off getting one with about 50k miles for about 6,000 bux. anyway, that car did get my attention..its at www.trmclassics.com if you want to see it.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Just as I suspected. 25th anniversary edition. Worth something to someone, probably.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
It isn't even a 350, plus I just don't see that car as desireable. Doesn't really matter that it is a 25th or not. Maybe as part of a collection if say you had the first Camaro, a 10th, 15th, 25th, and a 35th. But alone it's nothing worth $18,500. If you bought it, you MIGHT beable to turn around and sell it for $10,000 the next day. Looks like a big loss waiting to happen. I'd get something else.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
<----- was in the collector car buis. for almost 14 years.
Although i was only involved with classic fords, i've seen a lot of wacky stuff in that time. :confused:
At one time in the late 80's to early 90's one of the most collectable of Shelby-Mustangs (the '68 GT500KR convertible) was bringing almost $100,000 a pop.
And if memory seves correct one sold at a NJ action for over $125,000. :eek:
And Cobra's????
Better sell 4 or 5 of those KR ragtops bud.
The collector car market can be a VERY fickle and changing place though.
What's hot today might be lukewarm the next.
I would stay away from that '92 Camaro (for that price anyways), but then again.........it may be hot stuff 20 years from now.
For example: Did you know that Chevrolet used to built an all aluminum 427 big block V-8?
(cast by Winters foundries i believe.)
They offered this engine in late 60's Camaros and Corvettes.
They advertised it in Camaro literature, but not in Corvette brochures.
There were something like 150 or so Camaro's built -w- this monster engine.
The story goes that a guy on the Corvette assembly line spotted this option on one of the "build sheets" during his lunch break and decided to order himself a new 'Vette -w- the alum. 427.
Guess how many of those 'vettes were built?
Value? What do you think? :worship:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Oh, and as far as that '92 having only 5K ?
Sure it's possible. Ive seen a lot of "time capsule" cars over the years.
In fact a few months ago on ebay there was a bike for sale.
An '82 Honda Ascot-500 street bike.
New in the crate.
Yup, thats right, new and never assembled.
It's not really collectable, unless your into that kind of thing.
The only trouble -w- that would be the fact that if you were to put it together and use it.........POOF.... there goes its collectability. :|

But , yea i did think about it........... :p ;)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Did you know that Chevrolet used to built an all aluminum 427 big block V-8?
Ah, the ZL-1. They built just enough of 'em to make 'em legal to drag race.

How 'bout all those "executive" one-offs they used to build? We don't even know the level of trickness of some of the stuff that comes out of the manufacturers' "skunk works" :cool:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
ZL-1, COPO, Yenko... Arrr, Arrr, Arrr! :aj:

I've seen a dyno test of a ZL-1 engine built to spec. with bolt ons(intake, heads, carb) that produced 750 HP.

Also saw a '68 Z28 302 built to spec. with bolt ons in an SCCA car, put out&nbsp;675 HP where it's peak was around 8000 rpm.

&nbsp;:thumb:

&nbsp;

Last edited:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I think the only late 80's to early 90's Camaro/ TA's pulling money are the Turbo TA's. A friend of mine had one that he let go for about 12k. It had leather interior, t-tops, and all the other goodies. It only had about 30k mi on it too. Unless it's a turbo V6, it ain't worth anything over blue book in my opinion.

OnAnySun,

I knew a guy in upstate NY that had #2 off the production line of those '68 GT500 convertibles. If my memory serves me right, '68 was the first year they offered the convertible. This guy was constantly being asked by a few car museums if they could make him an offer. One of which was an all Ford museum that wanted the #2 car to sit right next to the #1 car they already had. All the more reason why he wouldn't let it go. He pulled it out of his barn one day and fired it up and did about a 60ft burn out down the street with it. It sure was cool seeing a rare and very sought after item doing burn outs like it was an expendable weekend racer. :)

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
A little off topic but I seem to remember reading about a guy from CA that bought 25 brand new identical corvettes. I think it was 1978 the indy pace car? Black & Silver? Said he was going to store them. I wonder if he still has them.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The 78 was the silver aniv I think.

Top Bottom