New addition to keep the "orange" company

Regardful

May 29, 2005
Hello all! My current bike is a KTM 250SX, but I just picked up a abused 2003 KDX(?) yesterday. Although I only paid $1000.00 for it, the bike was definitely not well cared for. It runs well, but needs:

-- new tires front and rear
-- new chain and sprockets (all badly worn)
-- new air filter (existing one was caked with mud!)
-- new brake pads (rear one was ridden metal to metal)
-- new plastic (every piece except the headlight housing)

With all that said, I have a couple of questions. First, is there any easy way for me to tell if the bike is a 200 or 220? The guy I bought it from claims it is a 220, but I'm not convinced that is true. After doing some research the only differences I could find were a 3mm larger bore and different carbs, 33mm on the 220 versus a 35mm on the 200. Is there a part number on the carbs I could look for?

The second question I have has to do with the plastic. After spending to much time researching, I couldn't come up with any aftermarket replacement radiator shrouds or side panels. I was able to find front and rear fenders, but that's it. Does anyone know if there are any companies selling these, or if other parts crossover? I was really shocked to find out that there were no complete plasic replacement kits (like they do for other bikes) available for a late model KDX.

I'm looking forward to getting the parts ordered and installed on the KDX, so that I can ride it. :ride: Based on all that I have read, the KDX will be a great woods bike. Besides, I could always use another bike to help keep the KTM company in the garage. ;)

Regardful

May 29, 2005
TriniG said:
If it is a 220, the engine no. should start with DX220

Abused KDXs should be reported to the ASPC(KDXs) hehe

I checked the motor and couldn't find any numbers on it. Any idea where on the motor I should look?

As for reporting KDX abuses, this was certainly a reportable offense. Fortunately, most of the damage is cosmetic or maintainance items (brakes, sprockets, chain, tires, etc.) :yikes:

Regardful

May 29, 2005
Green Hornet said:
If the chain is original 220 has O-ring and an 03 for $1000-Man that must have had the S%^Tbeat out of it.

I did check the chain and it doesn't have a O-ring chain on it now. However, the chain doesn't look as abused as the sprockets and may have been replaced. I did find a marking on the chain that said DD520. I realize that is for the chain size, but am not sure if the OEM chains came stamped that way. Do you happen to know?

Even abused I still feel like I got a good deal. Like I said in the other posts, most of the damage is cosmetic. The only structural damage is the frame that supports the rear fender is bent. Nothing bad enough that a little heat and re-bending won't fix though. :)

BTW, I'm still trying to find repalcement side number panels and radiator shrouds. Any ideas where to look?

tn220

Nov 1, 2004
You should be able to go to buykawaski.com under motorcycles and search for parts by the vin number found on the stearing head and it should tell you what it is. I used this to find out the year on an old 4 wheeler my dad bought a while back. hope this helps..LH

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Regardful said:
I saw the same number, "0.198", on my bike, but wasn't sure if both the 200 and 220 came stamped that way.
You got a 200 he lied Bro. Kick start side of engine will have numbers on the cyliner my 220 says 0.216

Regardful

May 29, 2005
All,

Based on the information provided, I was able to identify the bike as a KDX 200 (buykawasaki.com VIN parts search) and find all the parts I need (http://www.frpoffroad.com/ and http://www.denniskirk.com). Additionally, the FRP site has some very good suspension and engine tips, which also provides me information on what pipes to look for.

This has been one of the quickest and most positive forum experiences I have had to date. I asked questions, and quickly got answers from people with the knowledge. Without question this forum is a great resource and I really appreciate all the responses! Thanks for all the posts!

I'll be ordering parts as soon as possible and can't wait to get the bike out on my track! :cool:

Regardful

May 29, 2005
Green Hornet said:
You got a 200 he lied Bro. Kick start side of engine will have numbers on the cyliner my 220 says 0.216

I saw the 0.198 numbers when I was looking at the bike and figured he was telling me a story. I don't believe I was intentionally lied to, I think he was only going by what the guy he got it from told him. Since I got such a good deal on the bike, I'm actually OK with that though. Afterall, whether it's a 220 or a 200, for a $1000.00 it's still a great deal and I'm not complaining! Thanks for the help. This is a great forum! :cool:

Top Bottom