syko

Jan 10, 2004
I got myself a KX125 2004 model. it's been broken in and stripped down.
Before I stripped it I was having problems with my clutch not disengaging when the bike wasn't started.
For example, i'd pull it out the garage, knock it in first gear, pull in the clutch and try to push it and it tries to turn over. it just won't disengage.
what it very wierd is, once I fire the bike up the clutch is absolutely fine. engages and disengages perfectly.

as soon as I stop the engine, it does the same again, the clutch won't disengage the gear and it tries to turnover when I push the bike.

I stripped it all down, changed coolant, Transmission oil, and tuned up the carb so it is all pretty much ready to go and I am still having the same problem. the fresh oil is making no difference.

Anybody have any idea what it going on here.

P.S the bike has only just been run in. it has hardly done anything yet, it has in no way been thrashed yet.

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
how much is it trying to turn over the engine? on my 02 yz125 it also does that but very little resistance, i see no reason to have the bike turned off and in gear pushing it anyways.

syko

Jan 10, 2004
I know what u mean, and your right, you don't need to have the bike in gear and pushing it but the fact that it is doing this obviously tells me something is wrong.

As for the resistance, it isn't as much resistance as you get when you put it in 1st gear and push it with the clutch out. it is just about pushable when i have the clutch in but it still tries to turnover. also, when i stick it in gear, pull the clutch in and then try and fire the bike up it starts to pull forward as I kick it over and obvioulsy won't start until i put it into neautral. which, when i race and i fall off and stall the bike. i'm gonna have to get it into neautral before i can start it up again. not good!

syko

Jan 10, 2004
Also,
When i changed my transmission oil, it was a very dark grey colour, which i presume is normal after about two 30 minute runs and I also noticed some very fine metal shavings in the oil, they were very very tiny specs. is this normal?

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
not good...the clutch not disengaging when cold is normal, but if it is doing the same when hot then that isn't good...as for the tranny oil, that isn't normal and is from coolant getting into the oil, miost likely a blown water pump seal...this could also explain why you are having trouble with your clutch is that you have water in your oil. good luck, and this shouldn't happen on a new bike so you should try taking it to a dealer and seeing if they will fix it for you. JMO, im no factory wrench so dont quote me on it, but definetly sounds like you have a problem on your hands.

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
Hold on there fellas!
1) It is normal to have a small amount of metal shavings in the oil with a brand new bike. This is part of the breakin process that is why it is so critical to change the oil after each ride for the first few times.
2) Grey oil-This bike uses aluminum clutch plates and it is normal for the oil to get grey -again with a new bike and whould be changed frequently. If it were a coolant leak you would notice the coolant level dropping and in some rare cases also see oil in the coolant. I can't see, and would hope this would not be the issue with such a new bike.
3) Why did you strip the bike down?? You just voided your factory warranty. :ohmy:

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Bizerk is right on all points.

The bike has a neutral in the tranny for a reason, use it.

The drag you are feeling when the engine is off and the clutch is in is NORMAL. It may be less drag if the free play in the cable is adjusted out some, but there will still be drag.

As long as it goes away when the engine is running don't worry about it.

The grey oil is normal too, for the reason that Bizerk mentioned, plus the assembly grease from the factory line. The metal shavings are ENTIRELY normal for a new trans.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
blackoutyz125 said:
I wouldnt want metal shaving floating around in my motor.... but thats just me.

It's called swarf, and it is NORMAL in a new assembly.

That's why, like Bizerk already said, you should change the oil very often during break in and that many drain plugs have a magnet on them.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Yep , set the free-play at the lever like you are told to in the manual , and if it doesnt creep forward in gear with the clutch lever in , forget about it......

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
like viking 20 said check free play in cable. Most bikes have clutch drag due to several reasons from slightly warped clutch plates to worn linkage components.

go ride have fun.
Jim

TRAIL

Nov 12, 2002
Bizerk said:
Hold on there fellas!
1) It is normal to have a small amount of metal shavings in the oil with a brand new bike. This is part of the breakin process that is why it is so critical to change the oil after each ride for the first few times.
2) Grey oil-This bike uses aluminum clutch plates and it is normal for the oil to get grey -again with a new bike and whould be changed frequently. If it were a coolant leak you would notice the coolant level dropping and in some rare cases also see oil in the coolant. I can't see, and would hope this would not be the issue with such a new bike.
3) Why did you strip the bike down?? You just voided your factory warranty. :ohmy:

no MX bike i have ever bought had a factory warranty!

02rm250

Uhhh...
Sep 25, 2006
I've never had a bike you could push in gear/clutch in/engine off. I've only owned 2-smokes, so I dont know about 4s. If your bike has aluminum clutch plates, there will always be shavings in the oil. They should look like glitter for the most part, but some will be larger. Lube that bike up and enjoy!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom