New CR500, Need Some Advice, Starting, etc.

TJC510

Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 22, 2006
i think leaning the bike over is stupid also, but it does work. if mine won't start within 5 kicks cold, i lean it over and it starts first kick, every time.

on the jetting, you can have 2 exact 500s in the same spot and the jetting be different. it just the nature of the cr500. bruno670 is my dad, we ride/race together, our jetting is not the same.
also the site is www.cr500riders.com

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Those kickstands are great, but I would use it as a stand for the bike and not something to take the weight of the bike with you standing on it while kicking.
Get a bucket, a truck bumper, a bike stand, a fallen log, heck even one of your friends on all fours would be a better option.

I dunno, I never found the 500 all that hard to start.

crwiseman

Jan 22, 2008
Bigred: I will put a tennis ball on the end of it for you.

Laying bike over till it overflows: Should I lay underneath the bike on on top of it while doing this? (-;

Boy oh boy am I in trouble if I need an engine stand to start to darn thing out on the trails.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
crwiseman said:
Laying bike over till it overflows: Should I lay underneath the bike on on top of it while doing this? (-;

I think you should buy it a beer, first.

Seriously, I'll bet you'll get so good at starting this thing that this thread will seem silly someday.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
You can stand on anything, it doesn't have to be a bike stand. Just get something that will lift you up above the seat and give it a go. A 500 cc 2stroke doesn't have so much compression that it will hurt you. Just get a cynder block to stand on, put on your work boots, and give it hell...

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I'll bet 2stroker is right too.

I always figured that laying the bike over gave you a bowl of fresh fuel to try to start with.

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
For me the key was top dead center.

I do lean the bike over till fuel comes out when its cold, turn it back up and slowly kick thru several times with the throttle open.

after that put it to tdc with the choke if its really cold and give a few strong kicks (no throttle)it should fire.

once mine is warm its an easy one kick start every time.

Sometimes I stand on the bike with one arm on my van (hauler) for support, or a tree if extra strong kicks are needed..

O3RM125

Dec 22, 2007
Didnt notice the thread at first, not a 500 guy really, so sorry for my late chime in..

I had a friend when I raced yz80s that I rode with in the desert, he owned an 87(or 86, I forget now) yz490, he used to do the leaning the bike thing, and then he found that before taking the bike off the stand he would open the throttle to half, and cycle the engine about 5-10 times with the kick starter.. then give it one good kick and it would usually fire up.

It was an air-cooled motor and a much differant/older open-class bike, but I thought it may be helpful info to try out. :cool:

edit:
Be careful with the kickstand if you go that route, not only riding with it, but even leaning on it to start the bike can be dangerous, it would be alot more stable on a stand. I took my kickstand off my bikes in the past because they could flop to the downward position and cause a crash.

Last edited:

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
03rm, nowadays they make little rubber loops that you hook the kickstand into to prevent that(i dont know if its aftermarket or not, but ive seen it on mutltiple ktms

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I use the promotobillet kickstand. Great product, I never worry about it getting in the way or flopping down. In the up position it tucks up under the side number panel.

Still, I wouldn't trust it to hold the bike while I stood on the pegs trying to kickstart it.

crwiseman

Jan 22, 2008
Got her started yesterday, thanks for all your help. Starting from TDC was key, left foot flat on the ground so that I could transfer all my body weight THROUGH the whole kick start down stroke with the right. Getting over the 3/4 quick to avoid the possible kick back thing was huge too.

Top Bottom