Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Come on down Tony! I just got back from riding my '02 KTM 400 EXC for the first time. I am going to put 52T sprocket on the back as well. I have a few other things that I am thinking about like I did on the 250 RFS as well.

We had a good ride yesterday, the trail were in good shape with some waterholes from the previous rain. The forecasted rain held out for us until later in the afternoon and then it rained this morning so I came on home.

MCNut

Nov 20, 2001
Motohead, could you comment on the transmission gear ratios of the 250 RFS vs. 400 RFS, as they are totally different. My riding buddy got an 02 250 and he is disappointed in the speed range and therefore lack of versatility the 250 RFS transmission affords. He would like to have 1st noticeably lower and still needs another gear on top (7th???)! It’s like a six speed MXC geared way down to make 1st usable. Readers should know that the 400/450EXC’s stock gearing is 14/50, most riders going to 14/52 or 13/50 and a few 13/52. The 250’s stock gearing is 13/52 and the internal ratio for 6thr is way lower also. I think KTM was forced to use this final drive ratio because they were locked into using the primary drive ratio used on the big bikes, which have more torque to pull it. The effect like a stock XR250 with 6th removed. This and the low-end bog/hesitation and rock hard seat are his only complaints.
Bruce

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
With the mods mentioned previously.... i had no low end bog. Just the usual slight 4 stroke hesitation. As for the gear ratios.... I ran 13/52 on the 250 and had no problems with it. It suited me just fine. The bike came with a 54t rear from the dealer as he was playing around with it. I didn't like it in the woods. I found myself shifting and between gears way more than I liked. I went back to the 52t and was happy. I found that I could wind each (transmission) gear out further. I just rode the bike more like a 2 stroke and I was really happy. Maybe because it's been over a month since I sold/rode the 250 I am not remembering exactly correct, but I agree that the 400 needs the 52t rear sprocket. I just didn't feel I needed any lower than the 13/52 combination in the woods on the 250. Also, I very rarely saw sixth on the bike unless it was the grass track at Cooperland. Normally I would ride the 250 in 3rd to 5th here in the woods in Louisiana.

The bike really isn't slow. It's deceptive as it's faster than most peoples first impression. It can be a play/beginner bike, or you can wrap it up in the RPM range and really fly.

The one thing I did notice was that on the MX track, I did want the 54t for it.... but I very rarely venture out there so it was no big deal for me. Besides, I have the CR for than now anyway.

Last edited:

rjl40

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 5, 2001
This past Saturday I was able to ride the new bike another 44 miles. I was with my lifelong riding buddy who is getting familiar with his new 300 exc. This ride confirmed the initial 20 miles I had on the bike. WOW, it is very nice.
We went to Flying W (Kevin Windham's place) in Centreville, MS. He has done a tremendous job in setting things up. The 3 trails are well marked. There is a new concession stand, with great food, and hospitality. He has bike washes, and showers set up. The 6 restrooms are spotless. Picnic tables are placed under the trees in the parking area. In short, it is a great family place. Visit
Anyway........ the bike performed flawlessly. I can't say it has a lack of power, but I will say it doesn't have any surprises. Riding alongside a 300exc, I had ample opportunity to compare bike reaction to specific tasks. Having ridden for so many years with the same guy, I understand his riding style. Point being, on the very same uphill, wet, and full of roots, I see the 300's wheelspin needing to be managed, whereas the 250 rfs just powers right up, maintaining wheel control, and going straight up the face without pitching side to side. I love my new bike! I'll report again after the next ride.

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
rjl40-
I just test rode an "03 250 myself last Friday, and you're right -that is a sweet bike. Great pull right off idle. The power is EXCELLENT for a 4-stroke 250(especially stock) but manageble which is important in tricky woods situations. I loved the seat. I just wish this bike had been out when I bought my DRZ. I'm going to try a 400 next, since the weight is about the same.

rjl40

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 5, 2001
The biggest challenge of all about this bike is............what can I buy to improve it, or make it fit me better? Maybe I would like taller bars, but more importantly, a softer seat. Is there a softer seat foam available?

motomickey

May 9, 2002
You should be able to get a softer seat foam alot of different places, including your KTM dealer. Enduro Engineering makes one. If you feel lazy, and don't want to hassle with recovering your seat-Moose and SDG (SDG makes moose) offer complete seats for under 100 bucks.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Have any of you guy's that have or have ridden the KTM 250 four stroke ever ridden the Yamaha YZ250F or the WR version?
I had for a very brief time a YZ250F, and yes the power was great, so now that Im starting to think about riding again (after a broken leg and ankle) Im thinking about a little four stroke again. Ive seen the KTM and they are sweet, Im just wondering about the power, Honda's 250 wont be here for another year, that will be a great shoot out man!

:flame:

rjl40

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 5, 2001
I was not able to find any demo rides, on anything, prior to buying. I tried to read as much as I could on a group of bikes, eventually deciding to try the 250 KTM. I don't regret buying it at all. I agree with you on the pending Honda 4 stroke. I am sure that I will get one of those also. I have already been to the local Honda dealer to be placed 1st on the list. It is fair to assume that if Honda makes it, it will be good.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I had the YZ 250F before I bought my 250 RFS and for the woods I would pick the KTM every time. Can't comment to the WR 250F as I have never ridden one. If you plan on doing any MX, though I would consider one of the others. I didn't care for the KTM at all on the MX track. I haven't tried my 400 on a real MX track yet, but my opinion would probably still be the same for it. That is why I am trying to sell the CR 125 I have and get another 250F .

midana86

Dec 25, 2001
So guys, what's up with the low end bog and hesitation? Just got mine last Saturday. Got 40 miles on it. Love the bike...sweeeeettt! Beats the hell out of my TTR. But that low end bog and hesitation!! Called the dealer and he told me to turn the mixture screw in up to no more than 1/2 turn. It got better but still there. There is no low end like the TTR had. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Miles

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Miles,
I would check the jettting, you may be rich on the primary circuit. Motohead's 250, now firecracker's was really crisp on the bottom. I know he did some jetting and such. Work with it a little you wont regret it.

See you on the trail.

midana86

Dec 25, 2001
madkormos, look up ktmworld.com for the sprocket and anything else you are looking for. Prices are included in everything. Have fun and see you on the trail!! Miles

midana86

Dec 25, 2001
just purchased my 250rfs from holeshot in akron ohio. was haveing trouble with the bottom end response it was horrible.denny at holeshot is great to work with.he walked me through everything. the bike is a mule now.twist the throttle and it rips. BEST 4/STROKE I HAVE OWNED! thanks again to denny and holeshot. miles

midana86

Dec 25, 2001
mcnut, denny at holeshot had me adjust the mixture screw out. got what i was looking for at 3 turns out. 4/stroke low end lug and traction.no response prombles at all!

rjl40

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 5, 2001
I changed to the soft seat foam. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet. It may be awhile, as I will be getting a disc repaired Thursday 12/12. I think it will be late spring before I will be able to play again. I'll be bench racing with ya'll though.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Originally posted by Tony Eeds

Look in to modifying the rear of the frame to lower it as well (gotta figure that out although I have seen it mentioned),

Tony, Local dealer hear removes one inch from the lower sub-frame rail. I have never personally done it, but the way it was explained to me;

Cut the subframe about 2 inches up from the bottom bolt, remove a 1" piece of the rail, and mig/tig it back together. The upper rail remains stock. This lowers the seat height by one inch without compromising travel, or the geometrics of the suspension. It is very easy to do as long as you, or someone you know can perform the welding.

Top Bottom