mikep

Aug 5, 2005
Hi all fellow dirt bikers.I am from Johannesburg,South Africa.
I currently ride an 04 DRZ400E and my 7year old son has a KTM 50 SX Snr.
We use our bikes every week-end,and have been told to "run the carb dry after every use".I currently do this by turning the gas off and letting the bike idle until it cuts out.
What are the pro's and cons of doing this,as I am concerned about the KTM in particular(2-stroke).
Any comments please?

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
I don't really think you need to do that unless the bike is going to be sitting for a prolonged period of time. Then I wouldn't run it dry especially on a two stroke because the fuel is where the lubrication is. When I went on vacation and I knew the bike was going to sit for 6-7 weeks I drained the fuel out of the carb. It is only one nut.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
If you are running them every week, I see no need to drain the carb. I wouldn't ever run them dry on purpose.

The only thing I would suggest is turning the fuel off before transporting them, as jostling around in the trailer can bounce the float and overflow some carbs.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site mikep :cool:

I see where you have gone to your User CP and updated information relating to your location. Grab a spot on the couch and tell us a bit about yourself.

Great answers guy! As you can see, DRN spirit is alive and well.

Again, welcome to the site and shout if you have any questions!

Top Bottom