mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Hello all! I am Mo Brown out of Newark, Delaware... Del-a-where you may ask? Yes that's the little state between Pennsylvania, Jersey, and Maryland! I just found this site last night and have been really enjoying all of the content!

Anyhoo... I went riding with my brother-in-law and his friends a couple of weeks ago (ATV's) and got the bug back! I used to ride an RM125 back in 1979 and haven't ridden a dirt bike since. I just bought a 1991 CR250 from a friend of a friend and WOW!... these water cooled motos are unbelieveable!

I'm basically new again and am wee bit scared since I have no rhythm and feel left from 25 years ago! It shouldn't take too long to get the hang of it again but I have never owned such a powerful bike and will need to take my time (if it ever stops snowing over here).

I would appreciate any words of encouragement, tips, or the like, and any one who can tell me whether or not I bought a good bike (paid $970)... it seems to me in perfect running order and the engine was completely redone 2 years ago with only about 15 hours on it since.

This site is awesome!!

Mo

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Welcome!! and welcome back to the sport too. :thumb: You can find lots of info in the Riding Techniques Forum to help ease your way back into riding again. You'll find that there is a high percentage of knowledgeable people on this site. The biggest factor in making you a better rider though will be just getting out and doing it as much as you can. (That's why I still suck after 5 yrs. :) ) Ride safe!

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
'Preciate it!

Thaks alot Green Horn! Sure are a lot of caring people on this site :) I'll check that forum out... thanx again!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Welcome Mo, lots of good info and riding buddies available here.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
$970 sounds like a decent price. Don't forget to get riding gear. For, it's not 'if' you fall, but 'when' you fall. Some of us learned the hard way, and bought equipment after we got hurt..... I make all new riders wear the extra (hand-me-down) equipment I have. I've been hit with rocks that would have broken my knee, if not for the knee protectors.......

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
You dudes are awesome... I am not alone!

It's nice to know I'm not the only newbie out dere! Great tips all!

The first thing I did after getting the bike is bought protective ear (knee pads, boots chest protector and someone gave me some pants) 'preciate all the advice. We also had an unwritten law back in the 70's that said "if you ride a bike you WILL dump it"!!

Anyone 42 years old or there abouts? My wife thinks I'm crazy but I now am firmly bitten by the bug and can't think of anything but warmer weather so's I can "feel the power and artistry" of riding again.

Any one know of any nuances with this machine I bought? It sure as hell is fast but haven't had any nice weather to check out the handing yet

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
I'm 42 also. I moved to North Carolina, bought land, bikes, and tractors. I ride every weekend, weather permitting. When not riding, I am grooming trails, making jumps, making new trails, etc. I'm out early in the morning and not back in till dark. My wife KNOWS I'm crazy. Recently, my son lost two toes in a freak crash. I thought about giving it up. That thought lasted about 10mins..... What would I do, if I didn't ride???

My friend had a 93 CR250. good handling bike. suspension is better than 70's vintage, but pales in comparison to the new bikes. $ spent on suspension is $ very well spent.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I'm 2 short weeks from 40 and my wife thinks I'm crazy but enjoys riding as well... but slower :)

Welcome, looks like you guys got all our snow :eek:
dang ... 3 weeks... yup getting old. :laugh:

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Welcome to DRN! Hey, you might want to think about the Paragon ride May 1 &2! Check the Damn Yankee Dirt Riders Forum!

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Thanks for making me feel welcome

I really appreciate all of the responses. :thumb: It's cool that everyone reads and responds so frequently on this site. I will definitley tell my friedns about it, most of them are riding ATV's but I guess I'm just "old hat". I'm gonna take this free time to check out other forums in here. I read a little of the "maintenance forum" earlier and there was simply a wealth of informaton from so many people on many, many subjects. Wesites were even recommended to people for very specific problems...

I am really enjoying this.

Mo

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Yup thats the problem with this place, it is fun, it is useful and it is always here! Ok I hooked! :laugh:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Mo and TWRT: Welcome to you both.

Almost everyone on the site old enough to have children in school took a break from the sport. I did for 15 years.

I got my for new bike in over 30 years two years ago, when I was 40 with 10 years of experience. Now I am getting my 30 years old twins roped into the sport. :thumb:

As others have said, check out Damn Yankee Dirt Riders and Places To Ride / Organized Rides where the Paragon ride can be found.

Top Bottom