billyp10980

Damn Yankees
Aug 22, 2009
I'm new to the site and I just picked up a 1998 KDX 200. I was looking for a few suggestions. The bike has a FMF muffler on it.
1.What would be a good fuel mix to run in the bike?
2.What is a good air filter?
3.Spark plug?
4.Any other maintenace suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Billy

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I mostly run desiel in mine so I do't have to worry about mixing. :laugh:
uni makes a good filter you can also get the no-tiol prelubed filter

the fuel seriously 93 octane and 40:1 lucas semi synthetic does well castrol 2t does good too....yes put oil in the gas first!

welcome

JTS016

Aug 12, 2009
Congrats on the new purchase! I'm new to the KDX as well. Just got an '03 220 about a month ago.
My bike is stock, so I run the suggested 32:1 with Yamalube R premix. Read a alot of great reviews on this stuff in some older posts. It's run great with minimal smoke, also ran premium gas in it as well. I run the suggested NGK-BR8ES plug. Seems to work great for my bike, but some of the pro's might have some better suggestions for you.

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
JTS016 said:
Congrats on the new purchase! I'm new to the KDX as well. Just got an '03 220 about a month ago.
My bike is stock, so I run the suggested 32:1 with Yamalube R premix. Read a alot of great reviews on this stuff in some older posts. It's run great with minimal smoke, also ran premium gas in it as well. I run the suggested NGK-BR8ES plug. Seems to work great for my bike, but some of the pro's might have some better suggestions for you.

I run Yamalube R as well on regular... I'm a cheapo ha...

JTS016

Aug 12, 2009
theckeler said:
I run Yamalube R as well on regular... I'm a cheapo ha...

I debated using regular, but since I just got the bike, I didn't want to take any chances. So you haven't had any power issues or just issues in general running regular?

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
JTS016 said:
I debated using regular, but since I just got the bike, I didn't want to take any chances. So you haven't had any power issues or just issues in general running regular?

Nope... runs fine for me. Just user issues like screwing my top end and dropping the bike ha...

billyp10980

Damn Yankees
Aug 22, 2009
Thanks very much for the responses. I just ran the bike after cleaning up the old filter. Big difference! I will be getting new filters soon. The guy ran synthetic(Dominator) in the machine before selling it to me.
I guess high test gas along the oil mix is the way to go. Does the mix always have to be synthetic?

Feb 26, 2006
In my '97 I run 91 octane, the highest pump gas I could get, with a 40:1 mix of Arctic Cat APV or 50:1 oil, it seems to work good because I haven't had a problem with it since I got it over seven years ago, in fact I can't tell what kind of spark plug to use because I have never had it out! I run Twin Air filter in mine. Honestly, I don't have maintenance tips because these KDX's are virtually maintenance free.

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
Billy- Welcome here and to the KDX world. Lots of good guys here to help you out. Spend some time here and search some of the threads for answers to your questions. Whatever air filter you decide on, I always like to have 2. When one is out for cleaning, the other is in the bike. Dave

billyp10980

Damn Yankees
Aug 22, 2009
As far as air filters. Is it better to go pre-oiled or without and just buy the filter oil?
If a filter is pre- oiled does that mean you can only get the one use out of it and its time to throw it out? Can you clean it and oil it again or is that it?
I have a uni on my atv and I am able to get alot of uses because I can clean it and re-oil it myself. Thanks again for the help.

Top Bottom