nikasil or sleeve? which ones better?

jordan83

Feb 23, 2010
im doing the top end of my 03 yz250. my cylinder if scarred kinda bad. anyway which is better? nikasil or sleeve job? sum ppl tell me put a cast iron sleeve in it. they say itll last longer. somebody make up my mind

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Don't sleeve, re-plate. Sleeving was efficient on older bikes and air cooled 4stroke trail bikes, but high revving race bikes seem to dislike sleeves. Just go with the replating, or get a hold of Millenium Technologies because they have great prices, fast turnaround, and can often just send out a newly plated jug just as soon as they get yours as a core replacement.

mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
jordan83 said:
im doing the top end of my 03 yz250. my cylinder if scarred kinda bad. anyway which is better? nikasil or sleeve job? sum ppl tell me put a cast iron sleeve in it. they say itll last longer. somebody make up my mind
I got a 01 YZ 250 which got a cast iron sleeve in it, and the power in the bike is stil awsome. Cast iron sleeves are a cheaper repair option than a nikasil plating/weld repair. The plating is a harder wearing material than the sleeve, but I would not hesitate to put a sleeve in again, personally for my use of the bike....

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Cast iron sleeves are a cheaper repair option than a nikasil plating/weld repair

This is rarely true, unless the cylinder is badly damaged. I had a cylinder that looked fit for the trash welded and replated for $200 total, shipping included. A strip and re-plate would have been $125 if it did not need welding. This is with a dealer discount though.....

If a cylinder was damaged badly enough, I would sleeve it, but not for any other reason.

jordan83

Feb 23, 2010
where you gettin it replated at for $200? i dont need weld or anything. just strip and replate. i live in ohio and all the bike shops are tellin me like $240-$280. Thanks

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Nikasil better. Superior heat transfer & almost the same thermal expansion rate as the piston, allowing a tighter fit up of piston to cylinder.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I had mine done at langcourt. Retail price was something like $175 for strip and re-plate, $225+ for strip, repair, and re-plate. I got a bit of a break through a friend. Closer to dealer cost...

Anyway, if you send them your info through the form on their site they'll send you a quote. At worst it's gonna cost just a bit more than sleeving, and last a whole lot longer.

Pictures of my cylinder after repairs are here. I have no before pictures though, I didn't bother because I expected to hear that it wasn't worth fixing. The sub ports were mostly destroyed... I'm very impressed with the work. I tried to capture the crosshatch in the pictures, but it was crappy light and I just couldn't get it....

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/juliendogg/langcourt/

Top Bottom