Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
I know many guys on this board rave about the No-Toil filter system, I have recently converted to No-toil and find that when I go back and check the filter, seems that most of the oil has migrated from the filter,.. to the bottom of the air box. The filter seems oil-less (dry),...... Anyone else getting this??
I change filter every 2-3 rides. And I started with a NEW filter.

trl junkie

Feb 25, 2001
Shaw 520, I am a No-toil user also, with a few rides on it. I was very skeptical when applying the oil to the filter, as it is quite thin. I am used to the tacky spray on air filter oil. I have seen in a few posts you HAVE to let it dry completely before putting the filter on the bike, as part of the oil evaporates? I have been on 100 or so miles on it, with taking it off a couple of times (gotta love the 520 lid ez off) to see if anything had gotten past it. I literally gave it the "white glove test", and it had not allowed any dust in. Incidentially I also use a Pro Seal neoprene air filter gasket, so I dont have to lube the (sealing) edge of the filter with a bunch on nasty grease. I would have to report back later after a few more rides, to se how its holding up.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Hey trl junkie, don't ya just LOVE the Pro Seal!!? I'm glad I'm a gadget freak, otherwise I never would've got it.

Shaw - I just switched myself. You do have to squeeze out quite a bit compared to normal oils, as the consistancy is a bit thinner. Also, USE THEIR CLEANER!! I trashed my twin air by using conventional means(hot soapy water, gas and mineral spirits)(well, it really isn't trashed, but I can't for the life of me, get it 100% clean). I had NO problems with anything getting past the filter, thou'. And there customer service is top notch. I e-mailed them about my little problem, and Scott over there told me he'd send me a new filter as long a I promised to only use their cleaner in the future. My new NO-Toil filter is sitting on the counter waiting to be put in!:)

High Desert XR400

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2000
No Toil Rips!!

You have to make sure that you shake the bottle really well before pouring the oil on to the filter. I have forgotten and been able to notice a difference as soon as you pour it on the filter, you can tell by how thin it is.
I have been using No Toil for a year and a half and would never go back to the dark side. ;)

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
No-Toil is great stuff. Be sure to shake the oil and try to let it dry before installing filter. Most any oil will run down sides of the airbox - no biggie.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Re: No Toil Rips!!

Originally posted by High Desert XR400
You have to make sure that you shake the bottle really well before pouring the oil on to the filter. you can tell by how thin it is.
Exactly great advice. Notoil is oil suspended in alcohol. This setup allows better penetration into the filter and then the alcohol evaporates out leaving the oil. Always shake the bottle very well before use. We use a ziplock bag and put the clean dry filter into it then pour in the oil and squeeze (donot wring) the bag until the filter is evenly covered then put it on (or if it is a spare for the track seal the bag after you squeeze the air out) the cage. We also like to let the filter 'dry' for a few minutes on the cage before installing it into the airbox- this eliminates most of the dripping.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Ok, my application went like this;
Saturate in zip-lok bag, then let it drip dry overnight, back into the original zip-lok bag, install with supplied rim grease.
After checking the intake boot, I cannot say that I had any dust/dirt bypass,.. but the filter seem's to dry-out, compared to what I'm used to.

Sometimes its just hard to teach old dogs new tricks!

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Shake the bottle well, and apply as with other oils. Let the element dry (evaporate carrier) before installing. If your in a hurry, careful use of compressed air will evaporate the alcohol carrier in a few minutes, otherwise let the filter sit for an hour. Batch cleaning/prepping multiple filters is the eaisest way to use the system.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Shaw 520, did you shake the bottle up? I did a test by pouring some of the oil into a small cup without shaking the bottle up, and it was light orange colored. I poured that back into the container and shook it up for 15 secs real hard, and VOILA! It was red and way thicker.

Another point I might add. I read that four strokes will suck oil through the engine unless the filter is completely dry. I think if you leave the filter in a bag, the alcohol is being trapped in the bag and not allowing the oil to become "dry." Try leaving the bag partially open overnight, just keep it in a dust free place.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Are you making sure the filter is completly dry after cleaning it. It seems to me that if the filter is even a little damp the No-toil oil doesn't go on as well.

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
I've been using No-Toil for a year without complaint....Until last month. I think I got a "bad" bottle of oil, the stuff never got "sticky"!!! I've used it for 6 months or so ( 4 bottles of oil) and know the drill....shaken, plastic bag, etc.....
Before the stuff was so sticky I needed to use some of the cleaner to get it off my hands....this time it wiped off! I ran it for one day and checked the filter....not as much dirt as I expected and the filter still wasn't sticky like before....well I decided that it wasn't worth the risk so I washed all 6 filters that I had done....none of them felt like before, i.e. sticky....:think before I washed them...

After cleaning them I treated all with regular filter oil. Twin Air makes a resealable bucket with a strainer and cleaning solvent. I bought it after I saw the local shop using it, it lasts a YEAR for them. No-toil is a great idea but I'm not willing to risk my engines.:eek: I've got enough to worried about without being on the bleeding edge of filter oil technology!:confused:

Last edited:

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
The FIRST time I used the No-Toil I had oil drip off the filter into the air box but I attribute that to not squeezing the filter enough after oiling it.
All cleanings and oilings after that have been fine!
No dirt or sand on the inside of the filter.

Give it another chance...

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I just redid the kids filter and took extra time checking the results. Due ti unusual circumstances this filter went thru a 2 race weekend (Fri nif=ght and Sunday) and when I opened the airbox the filter was black with dirt. Outside was just slightly tacky but the inside surface was very tacky. No sign of any dirt in the airboot (had a thorough cleaning before the filter was put in) or on inside of filter (notoil brand- identical to the twin air) I guess I have never been this thorough in pulling it before due to confidance NOTOIL would do me right and I am very happy with what I saw.:)

Unkle Moose

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2001
Hello Fellow OffRoad Riders. I too am happy with the NO-TOIL System:)
I now have 3 No-Toil Filters, yes you need to shake the bottlegood before pouring. I clean the filters and hang in the garage overnight in open air to dry, I then put in zip lock bag and oil filter, open bag lift out filter and squeezee out excess, put into a tupperware container and leave cracked open overnight, then seal container next day (holds 2 filters) I have never had any problems:) Ride Safe and Ride Often:cool:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I like the stuff

It's the only kind I'll use.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom