chabat

Oct 11, 2004
Well,
I had no spark on this bike a year ago. I finally fixed it Jan 2005 - was the source coil (stator), had arced out.

Now it is Oct 2005, No spark again. I checked the stator 1st with my ohm meter, in spec. I checked the ignition coil, within spec. I checked the CDI black box against my spare - Same readings.

Still no spark. So I guess the next step is to find every grounding point on the bike, emery cloth it and dielectric grease it, put back together, and see if spark. I wish I had a new bike. But from reading other threads, newer bikes develop problems as well. No use complaining, huh?

Anything else I should do? I wish I had a spare ignition coil too, part swappin' is an easy way to test parts.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Stator failure is certainly common on the older KDXs (happened to me and several guys I know). When yours failed last time, did you replace it with a used one or compleletly rewind yours? If the replacement stator was a used one from another KDX, I would suspect it as the problem, even if it tests OK with an ohm meter (FWIW, mine tested fine too when if finally gave up the ghost).

As for a grounding failure and other electrics, look closely at your kill switch. If it is corroded it may be acting like you are holding it down.

chabat

Oct 11, 2004
Of the three components: Stator, Ign. Coil, and CDI, is the Stator the most prone to failure?

I replaced it from one from Ricky Stator - In other words, it did not come from Kawasaki. But I have heard Ricky Stator has a good reputation for reliable stator parts. Ricky does completely rewind them, he doesn't just sell used parts.

You know what sucks the most? I have at different times heard peopl say that all three of those components can test okay on the ohm meter and STILL be bad. That is just awful.

Do the newer kdx's these type problems?

Last edited:

chabat

Oct 11, 2004
Pulled flywheel, magnets all in place, no trash, no rust, no corrosion. The stator was clean, new looking. No corrosion on the stator or stator plate. No pinched or frayed wires. No loose connections. There ISN't even a kill switch on the bike right now, so it ain't that. All the earth points and wire connections everywhere were clean and non-corroded.

I sanded all the ground earth points. I dielectric greased it all. I got spark, but not consistently. It would jump a 1/4" gap one time out of about 10 kicks. It would jump a 1/8" gap a little more. And when it DID spark, it was bright blue, an audible pop, like it is supposed to be. But it was VERY intermittent. And I did test mt tester on two running bikes, so I know the tester is spot on.

On average I got about 1 spark for 10-15 kicks. That's it.

What next?

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
is the timing dead on? if so advance it prolly like 1/4 of an inch. warning it'll need a mean kick to get it to fire. if she fires then let it run for a couple of minutes. then shut it off and bring the coil closer to dead on and try it again. if that doesnt work then i'd be talking to a dealer.

chabat

Oct 11, 2004
Lepper, started with the 3rd plug I tried. But I still believe I have a weak spark, as my kdx wouldn't even jump a 1/8 inch gap whereas the pw80 and crf150 will jump over a 1/4 inch gap on the tester. What do you think? I have had this thing let me down so often spark wise, I am buying a new ign. coil anyway.

Edit. Just got off the phone with a friend who is into vintage bikes. He said for me to sand the motor mounts, it is a spot where corrosion builds up (from washing the bike) and can make the ground not as good. And if the ground is faulty or spotty, the ignition won't be solid. He also said He has coils much older than mine (30 years old on some Maico's) that are still solid and working great. He said that he has hardly ever seen a Japanese bike coil go out. He thinks I have a ground/earth issue based on what is going on with my bike. Also, he suggested I not use dielectric grease on the metal to metal mounts, only on electrical connectors. He had trouble with a Suzuki losing spark from the dielectric grease on mounts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom