[Non-Moto Photog] Lil' UWA playing

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
So there's another aspect of photog that I'd like to at least get a handle on... shooting cars, bikes, etc. Rich convinced me to do the 10-20 Sigma EX, which introduces yet another challenge; how to shoot Ultra Wide Angle. So, I take some test/practice shots of Scooter's Maxima.

This isn't really about the car shot, although that's what I was working on; how to capture a cars lines the best... it turned out being what I )IMHO) consider to be a near perfect exposure (the only thing this pic is really good for), the reason I'm posting it. It's not all that often that you can get a good mix on a harsh light sunny day. Meaning the subject can be metered right, but everything else is crap. This shot happened to work well. I metered on the middle brightness (trees), recomposed and fired. I ended up with killer sky and the white car exposed correctly.

I'll also add that the Sigma 10-20 is a BADA$$ lens! It takes some composing to find a compromise between UWA and reality, but you can get some seriously cool effects if you play right. This image was not retouched/modified.

(Yes, that's a Shoei box in the garage :) )

Attachments

• uwa_max.jpg
    uwa_max.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 165

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Okie said:
I'll also add that the Sigma 10-20 is a BADA$$ lens! It takes some composing to find a compromise between UWA and reality, but you can get some seriously cool effects if you play right.

I figured you'd like it once you got a feel for it, which obviously didn't take long. Excellent shots. :cool:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Love the second shot! Gettin' down and dirty with the new lens!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I keep thinking it's too wide for what I do most of the time, but the more I use it and experiment, the more I like it. Damn thing is TACK sharp. You just really have to watch the angles/perspective.

As far as the second shot, it's really hard to get body lines to show-up on a white car, I was working in the garage, glanced out there and saw the light hitting it like it was... click. Kinda cool (for photography geeks anyway :) ).

Thanks for the kind comments :cool:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Okie said:
I was working in the garage, glanced out there and saw the light hitting it like it was... click. Kinda cool (for photography geeks anyway :) ).

That's what I noticed about the second pic. The way the sun light was hitting it looks sweet. Add with that the angle, and you nailed it again, man. :cool:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Nice ...

between Rich and Chris and now you touting the UWA lens, I may have to get one ...

Too bad we can't get one internet store to give DRNers a discount ... this "sport" can get more expensive than bikes real quick.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Since starting to get paid with the camera, I've spent around $10,000. :whoa: That includes a MAC and studio lighting, background hangers, etc.

Here's the list.
Sigma 24-70 EX DG, 70-200 EX DG, 10-20 EX EC, 1.4x EX DG, EF-500DG (flash) Canon 50mm f/1.8, 35mm f/2, 18-55mm kit lens.

3 600 watt strobes with 3x5 softboxes HD stands, one boom, light controller, Sekonic 358 light meter, 2 9' wide, 9' tall background stands. Remote shutter. Dynatran AT-828BL tripod with pistol grip ball head. 20" iMac for teathered shooting, wireless to the main Mac in my office.

All to shoot boring stuff like this: (actual image size is 24.5 megs, 2398x1752 pixels)

Attachments

• pool_table.jpg
    pool_table.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 142

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Rich Rohrich said:
I figured you'd like it once you got a feel for it, which obviously didn't take long. Excellent shots. :cool:

Thanks Rich. I'm just not sure if I'm going to keep the lens, I really don't have the opportunity to get shots it would excel at, you can only take so many landscape and city scape shots in the DFW area :( ... I may have to trade it for the more practical (for my use) 17-40L . I'm torn, but can't afford to have both :bang:

Update:
The deed is done, exhanged the 10-20, sure would like to have kept it. :(

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Okie said:
Update:
The deed is done, exhanged the 10-20, sure would like to have kept it. :(

DANG IT! I was going to see if I could take if off your hands. The 10-20 just seems like a really fun lens to play with, but I see your point on finding the right situations for it.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
It's still sitting here ... I bought the news lens outright, was about to send this back for credit. If you want it, let me know ASAP! I need to get it back so the credit hit's soon.
Delivered cost will be what I paid for it, + shipping. I'll eat the paypal fees.

1 Sigma Zoom Wide Angle 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM... SG1020F4CA USD 449.95 USD 449.95

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
PM sent!

Top Bottom