bailout123

Sep 1, 1999
Hey guys this may sound like a stupid question... :eek:
What is a good oil to use on a YZ400F? I'm helping a friend with his bike and I can't find any oil out there that is SH 20W-40 (Like his manual says)

Sorry I'm a two cycle guy for now...a New CR450 is calling my name ;) .

Thanks for your help

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I should not even mention this, because oil debates still rage on. I use Honda GN4 in my XR's and feel like it protets the tranny better than standard automotive oils. There are other "4-stroke motorcycle oils" out there, and I believe any of them would be better than an automotive oil. Just my opinion.

Regardless of what oil you use, changing it often is the most important thing. Good luck.

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
I used Mobil 1 15-50 and never had a problem for 2 years.
Look for the red cap.

(Pretty sure it is 15-50, maybe 10-50 though)

Boss

Oct 5, 2001
Don't use an Automotive oil ever!, no good for bikes. I have found Klotz to be the best 4 stroke oil I've used. Yamalube is ok but is not a great oil. but every one has their own taste when it comes to oil!;)

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
Mobil 1 15-50. The red cap. Lots of people use it. Check thumpertalk.com. Good stuff. Run it for 1100 miles in my WR with no problems.

ScottZX7RR

Sep 11, 1999
Actually Boss the key is to make sure that the auto you purchase doesn't contain Friction Modifiers. The bottle will tell you on the label that they contain them.

The 15W50(yes Red Cap) is ok as it doesn't contain them. This is the oil that I run in my 400 and have several riding buddies that use it in their 400/426.

The main thing to remember about this bike is to change oil regularly as it keeps the motor health and happy. I change mine after two playriders or one race.

Top Bottom