Oil (?) out of the tailpipe - trouble?

Daf

Jul 29, 2008
Hi all,

I've got a new 08 YZ85.

I've noticed after riding that I have oil (looks like oil anyway) coming out of the tailpipe - runs down under the pipe and drips onto the swingarm area. Is this normal? I'm so new to mx bikes I'm not even sure of the mixture ratio. The salesperson at the Yamaha shop helped me with that aspect. I'm using
Maxima - Pro Series 927 Castor 2-Stroke Oil - 4oz per gallon of reg unlead.

Should I be concerned about the "leakage" or just wipe it off?

Thanks!
Daf

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
you're running at 32:1, which is relatively normal, maybe a little rich on the oil, but okay. You're going to get spooge no matter what with a two stroke, but if you take the time to rejet the carburetor just right, that will definitely cut down on the spoogeness.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
XRpredator said:
you're running at 32:1, which is relatively normal, maybe a little rich on the oil, but okay. You're going to get spooge no matter what with a two stroke, but if you take the time to rejet the carburetor just right, that will definitely cut down on the spoogeness.

Interestingly, my father in law runs his CR 125 kart so clean that he has zero spooge on the silencer.

Of course, he's running WOT 120-130 mph for very long periods and thus the fuel would likely be burning more cleanly than in our sport.

Your results may vary. . .

VISaki

May 25, 2008
that and he probably repacks his silencer ever so often...usually this is normal I have it under my rear fender also..this is normal..this shows that your cylinder is getting lubricated very well. if you want less oil run a 40:1 which is 3.2oz. of mix for every gallon of gas. or 4oz. which is your regular 32:1 ratio.

May 10, 2007
dont change your premix ratio for your jetting problems. its a solution that doesnt fix the problem.

as said before most 2T's will spooge a little bit (i have a ring on the inside of my silencer but it doesnt drip out)

to fix you will probably have to rejet.

Daf

Jul 29, 2008
Thanks! I had seen references in other posts to "spooge" but didn't make the connection.
I can live with some spooge if the consensus is that its normal. At this point I'm not qualified to rejet anything ... but I expect to become more proactive with the bike's maintenance in the near future.

Sorry I posted in the wrong forum (2-Stroke Discussion) I thought it was more of a 2-stroke issue than a "mini" one.

Daf

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You are in Texas and right now it's there hottest time of the year her (like exploding gas cans). Anyway it is abnormally hot right now so your bike is running rich since the air is less dense. When things cool off to say mid 70's to low 80's I bet you'll be seeing MUCH less spooge.

Daf

Jul 29, 2008
Hey thanks!

Good link, I've been reading up on jetting, I may be getting a handle on that concept.

Daf

Top Bottom