robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I've been working on getting the jetting straightened out on my 2002 E.G. RM 144. Turns out my slow jet was completely plugged - we had to use compressed air to get the dirt out of it. :(

Anyway, I have switched to 105 race fuel. I repacked the silencer and thoroughly cleaned the carb. Took it out for sa spin yesterday evening. The motor is even stronger than before (i.e. 4th gear wheelies on pavement rolling on the throttle), but the pipe got so hot it would probably melt my skin if I left my hand on it for more than 1/2 second or a second.

The pipe got very warm stock - perhaps you could even call it hot - but it was not nearly as hot as it is now. It just seems to be running a lot hotter than before.

Is this difference to be expected with the 144, race gas, compression combination?

Or do I have a problem with the cooling system?

Thanks
Rob

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The exhaust gases are in the 1100+ degree range, of course the pipe is too hot to touch. :yikes:

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Rich Rohrich said:
The exhaust gases are in the 1100+ degree range, of course the pipe is too hot to touch. :yikes:

Geez Rich - hard core as always . . . ;) I can take it. LOL

I'm assuming the extra heat isn't a problem then? As I said, the pipe was hot before, but never this hot.

Regardless of how stupid I sounded, the bike is definitely running hotter than it did before. And this was in 40 degree F weather.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
If your motor is running strong do not judge how much heat is coming from the pipe . Too much heat and the motor get's weak you will be able to feel it,sounds to me like you do not have a problem.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Rob - If the plug looks correct, the engine feels strong, and the coolant isn't boiling over then you can ignore the pipe. ;)

Top Bottom