Pre-Mix ratio for new KTM 200 EXC

RanMan

May 22, 2002
I've got an new '02 200 EXC. Only had a chance to put 15 miles on it so far. My dealer said to run it at 50:1 even during breakin. So, I chose Golden Spectro and currently running the 50:1 ratio. Is this a wise idea? I've read some about it and some recommend 32:1 during breakin and then 50:1. I know this other topic has been beat to death, but while you're at it, would you list what oil you are using, and if possible, why? Thanks

little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
Ran Man, I would switch to 32:1 for the first tank, then, in my "opinion" switch to 40:1 with a full synthetic. I have a 02' KTM 300EXC, and that's what i did. Now I run 40:1 with Honda's HP2 synthetic premix with no problems, you just have to jet accordingly, I myself am jetted just a little rich for piece of mind. Just pick a good quality premix like Mobil's MX2T which I heard through the grape vine is an excellent synthetic premix, Amsoil, yamalube, HP2. i could go on and on, but you will here a lot of different people tell you what to run in your bike, you just have to find what you like best, availiability, price also play a factor, but what ever you do, don't mix different premixes, very bad thing to do.
Good Luck Little Jeff

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
i run torco smoke-less pre-mix at 32:1, i am really surprised at the differance in my bike w/ that pre-mix than the Klotz at 40:1, the bike isn't as rich, and is alot crisper on the throttle response. i don't quite understand why torco at 32:1 isn't as rich as Klots at 40:1 but i ain't gonna question why, i just know it runs better. hope i was some help

Ford-PSD

Uhhh...
Oct 22, 2002
I would follow what the manufactures and your book says, not the dealership.

After breaking, I jetted mine for 40:1 and us Mobil-1 MX2T full synthetic.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
el presidente, the reason it seems leaner at 32-1 vs 40-1 is because there is less gas per once of fuel with 32-1 since the pre mix oil displaces an equal amount of gas per volume. The gas to air mixture is what determines if the engine is running richer or leaner. Less gas more air = leaner. Going down to 20-1 will cause the bike to run even leaner. Hope you can understand my explanation.

I run all our bikes at 32-1. 1 pint of oil to 4 gallons gas. 4oz oil to 1 gallon gas when mixing smaller quantities. Makes it easy to figure since I buy pint bottles. As long as the bike is jetted for the ratio your OK. I like the extra oil lubing the engine and not having to keep 1 gas can for each bike.

Kerry Shane

Nov 13, 2002
I have used 40 to 1 mix entire time and have used several good synthetic grade products. Have fouled one plug during break in period at 32 to 1 and after that the same plug has been in the bike for over a year. I also use 93 octane gas that I typically purchase at the same pump and add VP octane booster for stability and about a 3 point lift.
VP claims 6 points in octane boost but I have had it tested and it is a sure fire 3 points. All other porting and valve is very clean considering use.

RanMan

May 22, 2002
Thanks for the help. That page was very interesting. Looks like I'll be mixing at 40:1 after breakin and will drain tank and run 32:1 for a couple of tanks.

Westex

Dec 21, 2000
Yamlube 40 to 1 with 93 octane pumpgas. I ran a KDX that way with no problems for 2 years. I'm now on a 98 EXC 250. I've been running it on the same gas oil for 1 year with no problems. It works for me.

Keith

Top Bottom