DirtRydin

Apr 17, 2002
I was looking into buying one of these for there 2strokes and the have a headlight, but someone told me ktm's were pricy. How much to each of these bikes retail for?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
$6051 OTD (MI sales tax was 6%)

Last edited:

DirtRydin

Apr 17, 2002
Sorry if i was rude for asking, I am just really trying to get a bike soon. How do u like yours? Can it handle large jumps? And what about speeds? How fast do they go? Will they beat a 125 or CR250 off the line?

motomickey

May 9, 2002
Comparing an EXC to a CR is Apples to Oranges. CR125/250 are motocross machines, the EXCs are offroad/enduro machines. Will they handle jumps-yes. As for speeds, The EXCs have a wide ratio transmission, which means they will have a higher top speed than a CR (close ratio transmission-for MOTOCROSS). You need to establish what type of riding you are going to be using the bike for. IF it is MOTO-then stick to a CR or KTM SX. If it is general, all arround offroad, hare scrambles, enduro-then the EXC is the way to go. As far as beating a CR off the line, THE biggest factor there is the rider's ability, not the bike. KTMs are not pricey anymore-but as with any bike-you have to shop arround. You might want to look on a KTM specific website like KTMtalk.com for more information on where to get them.

DirtRydin

Apr 17, 2002
As far as between left over 02's and 03's is there any real diference other then price be tween the 03 and 02 250exc. Would it be worth spending the extra money on a 03??

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
If you are looking at alternatives to the KTM - GasGas has dropped their prices for '03 and also has a few '02 closeout models left. Smackover Motorsports just listed their '03 prices on their website (which are a little bit lower than msrp). Look under "new bikes" @ www.smackovermotorsports.com

One nice thing about the gasgas is that you can get ohlins suspension front and rear (the ohlins forks are an option).

jeff
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club

proracer3

Jul 7, 2002
I was also getting prices on the 200 and 250 exc. I called several dealers and the best prices I found were: 2003 200exc - $5100.00 and 2003 250exc. The website is funmartcycle.com and they have a toll free number. They also had some hard to get 4-strokes on e-bay.

motomickey

May 9, 2002
go to KTMtalk.com and use their get a quote feature. There is a big difference between the 02s&03s, but you have to determine if it is worth it to you. If it was more than $500-I would seriously consider the 02.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
GasGas retail prices have come down dramatically with the new distributor, parts prices are also lower and readily available. If you didn't consider one in the past because of price - you should take another look. From smackover's website (they charge a little less than MSRP).

2003 EC200 - $5496
2003 EC250 - $5665
2003 EC300 - $5750

They have a couple of '02 EC250s and 300s leftover for $5200.00.

WP front forks are standard, ohlins forks are an option - the ohlins forks are about $500 more...

The gasgas corporate website is at www.gasgasmotos.es if you want to see specs, changes for '03, etc. The u.s. distributor will have a website up soon - I ran into the rep at the GNCC in indiana - I think he said the url will be www.gas-gas.net.

jeff

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
One thing that I forgot to mention about the '03 gasgas models - the sales rep also told me that they will be offering a "DE"model (dealer's edition) - it will be similar to the gasgas XC model that was sold by the previous u.s. importer.

The GasGas EC models come with flywheel weight, 80-ish watt lighting coil, and street legal wiring loom (horn, turn signal relay, hi/lo beam, brake lights). They just remove turn signals for u.s. market. This model is more oriented towards the NW or NE enduro rider (me!).

The DE model comes with lighter ignitiion and no flywheel weight to give it more "zip". It has a lighter wiring loom without lights, horn, turn signals, etc. This is the "race model"... Flywheel weights and a higher compression head are available (the motocross MC model has a higher compression head). I have been told the price on the DE model is the same as the EC model.

jeff

proracer3

Jul 7, 2002
The Gas Gas is a good bike but I do not think it is as good as the KTM yet. Another thing about the Gas Gas is that the dealer network is terrible and you can not sell the bike when you are ready for a new one.

slow2ride

Aug 3, 2001
Yes, I would admit the dealer network may be small (not terrible by any means), but the support has been the best I've ever experienced (read Smackover). Over such a short time period, GasGas as evolved into a solid, reputable company that produces race-ready (and competive) machines out of the box.. highly comparable to any current enduro model out there.

On the other hand, KTM (Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen) has been in the motorcycle business since 1953. Makes you wonder... ;)

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
Originally posted by proracer3
The Gas Gas is a good bike but I do not think it is as good as the KTM yet...

I'll admit the gg isn't perfect - "Can I borrow the kickstarter off your ktm please? I'll give it back right away, I promise..." ;)

But, all in all, the gg300 can't be beat...

GasGas 300 wins euro enduro bike shootout - best enduro bike.
Look here...
http://www.smackovermotorsports.com/html/300_is_best_.htm

jeff

Last edited:

Top Bottom