Question for SRC Fork Brace users?

pvxr400

Nov 4, 2001
Hi,

When you put a Fork Brace on your fork, do you have to put the top of your fork equal to the top tripple clamp in order to get enough clearance between the brace and the front fender under full fork compression?

Thanks,

Pat

MLEACH

Mar 30, 2002
Good question.I have a 2000 KDX 200 and I just got a SRC brace.I hope there are instructions.I will not get to it until Sat or Sun.I'll check back and put in my 2 cents.

lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
I have a friend that put one on his XR280 and he had to cut the front fender for clearance. He swears by it and a steering stabilizer as well.

m_champoux

Mar 29, 2001
I'm also interested because I dropped the brace 7 mm to have a quicker steering effect. If I put a fork brace, I don't want to loose this effect !!

How much to you have to cut on the front fender ???

Thanks
PVXR400 : Why are you asking about the fork cap ????? DUH !! :worship:

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
For the fork dust seals, you have 2 options. The first is to use the rubber short boot provided with the kit. It is a very stout piece, nothing like the stock rubber gaitors.

Or you can run the full length or half length seal saver skins.

Both designs are made to be used behind the fork sliders.

For installing the brace, it is not hard. You have to drop the forks from the clamps but that is about it. Notching the fender is a bigger PIA. You basically take about a 4" half circle out of both sides of the fender. Basically from the bottom lip to the top of the fender. Like I said, there are templates provided and they will give you more upon request for free. Some say it weakens the fender a bit. On my xr600 that I had, did not make any difference. You could use a fender brace if you are really worried about it.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Originally posted by m_champoux
I'm also interested because I dropped the brace 7 mm to have a quicker steering effect. If I put a fork brace, I don't want to loose this effect !!

How much to you have to cut on the front fender ???

Thanks
PVXR400 : Why are you asking about the fork cap ????? DUH !! :worship:

What brace did you drop 7mm????

m_champoux

Mar 29, 2001
Sorry My mistake !!,

I was talking about the upper triple clamps !! :ugg:

I dropped the fork 7mm between the cap and the upper clamp.

The bike can turn really well but is not stable at high speed !!

Martin

pvxr400

Nov 4, 2001
M_Champoux,

If you go on the SRC Product page, you'll see that the kit comes with "CNC machined fork caps". Those new caps are probably use to drop the fork even more in the upper clamp...

www.srcinc.net/forkbrace.html for more details...

I'm concern by the same thing as you. Can I put a fork brace on the bike and also put the top of the fork a few millimeters above the upper tripple clamp? This way I could keep the quick steering effect.

Patrick

MLEACH

Mar 30, 2002
Hey guys!I have the brace on,but we have had 2 weeks of bad weather. Cutting the fender took the most time.According to the set up instructions,the forks are dropped 1/2 to3/4 inch.This should be interesting.I am going to E mail SRC for advice.

MLEACH

Mar 30, 2002
I got an E Mail back from SRC. They said that dropping the forks is necessary to prevent the brace from contacting the fender bolts.They also said the steering will be slower with less head shake. We'll see.

MLEACH

Mar 30, 2002
I got to ride this weekend !!!!! The bike seems more stable at high speeds and a whole lot better in the rocks. The steering is a little slower and I like it.

maui

Apr 22, 2002
I had an xr650r and bought the summers fork brace. IMHO it did not help at all, for $200 it was the worst mod I ever paid for. For $400 you can get a steering damper which really helps.I dont mean to rain on you guys parade,but dont waste your money.

pvxr400

Nov 4, 2001
Hey maui,

It's hard to believe you when you say the Brace didn't help. Maybe it depends on the kind of trails you are riding. If there is no rocks and ruts then you don't necessary need a fork brace.....

I have one on my XR400 and it works very well. Give a lot more confidence when riding rocks....

Patrick

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
There are some things to consider on the brace with a Xr650r. That bike uses 45mm forks which are larger than the 38-43mm units the past KDX200/220s have used.

I installed on my xr600 and would not ride without it. The xr600s are a front heavy bike. With the brace, the bike absolutely flew through the ruts, no problem at all. Before the forks flexed and usually end with the bike tipping over.

dixie

Feb 22, 2003
I'm a new member wifes pc .any way the fork brace works,but I live on a low budget you can make the brace with auto muffler clampts and a peice of angle aluimin and you do not have to drop forks. This mod only cost 10 bucks been on my bike for 8 years now no problem.
Hope this helps

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
hey Dixie, could you post a photo so we can get a better idea of your home grown job?
For those with the $200 brace, you could lessen the preload to zero to offset that. Or to be more accurate you could make sure the front end sag (with rider) is 3/4" more on the front than at the rear by playing with the preload front and back.

Top Bottom