Race Report - Sawblades Excellent MX Adventure

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Bswift and myself made it through Saturday night at Ascot Raceway in Doro OK. Bswift survived his first MX race, and I survived after 10 years of not racing.

I was in high spirits driving to the track. The wife even committed that I wasn't in full race mode like years ago. You know what I mean. Race face on as you pass every vehicle on the road, your favorite cd cranked to ear splitting decibels. High spirits prevailed until about a mile from the track when I notice a lot of water setting in a field. Looked great for a swamp buggy race, but not a MX race! Pulling into the park, things didn't look much better. The track was muddy, but more then expected.

After signing up, unloading, and walking the track. MX547 and Bswift show up. Bswift jumps out of the truck with the a big grin and a hand shake. I don't think he knew what he was getting into. Or really cared. He just wanted to have a great time. MX547 looks a little nerves knowing that Bswift and myself will be on the track at the same time.

Practice starts with the quads as expected. But everyone of them played follow the leader. Track conditions didn't look like they would improve much. MX547 hits the first practice session, while Bswift and myself wait for session 3. After only 3 laps of practice. I get back to the pits and find Bswift already there. At first I'm thinking he crashed. A quick look around confirms there are no cedar trees, so I'm assured not to be blamed! :p But find out a new shift leaver was giving him trouble. Its a quick fix, and we are ready for more practice. With the second practice I have my first scare of the night. Complements of a kicker that has developed on a small table top. After some discussion with MX547 we decide to stay in the almost 40 class, even though MX547 warns that many of the over 30 riders are fast.

MX547's first moto is first. In the first turn, he gets hit from the back and goes down. After getting up, he puts in a good ride and pass a few riders. Bswift and Sawblade are still in the hurry up and wait mode, but with good DRN company, time went by much faster.

Finally around 10 PM Bswift and myself find ourselves on the starting line. We both line up towards the outside, not wanting to get caught in any first turn pile up. The gate drops, and I spin the rear wheel like there is no tomorrow. This was my first time starting on concrete, and it sucks! I really don't remember a lot of the race it self. After about two laps I was by myself. The leaders long gone, but at least I was on the track racing!

More good company is had in between motos. Bswift wife calls him on the ole cell phone. She kind of sounded like the teacher on Charlie Brown. Not sure what she may have been upset about. But MX547 and me tried to get my wife to walk over and loudly ask if he still wanted that lap dance in the VIP lounge. But she wouldn't do it!

MX547 gets a much better start in his second moto and rides to a strong finish. Its now almost 12:30 AM as Bswift and myself are back on the starting line. Same drill, outside start, spin the rear wheel, get a poor start again. Much to my surprise there are two bikes laying in the first turn. I gingerly guide myself around the fallen bikes, through the second turn and get passed by a few riders. Again, I don't remember a lot about the second moto. I was doing good until the second lap when I jumped out of a berm and got passed by two riders. I was able to catch one of them on the fast back straight by staying on the gas and braking later. But he would pull back what I gained in the muddy tight sections. The second moto was over before I knew it. With in 30 minutes we had packed up, said our good byes, and hit the road.

A great time was had by all. Even though MX547 kept on apologizing for the worse then expected track conditions. I accomplished my three goals for the night. Have fun, don't get hurt, and don't come in last. I can't wait to come back when the conditions are dryer! :) :cool: :)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The only thing that could have made it better, IMO, would have been podium finishes. This is a "will do" again.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Originally posted by BSWIFT
The only thing that could have made it better, IMO, would have been podium finishes. This is a "will do" again.

I totally agree on both points! Bswift, I see you are a Arrowsmith fan. Yeah baby!

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Just wait till we all line up together at the starting gate. Oh what fun.:)

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
justql,
I would be proud to line up next to a enduro ride on a mx starting line! Come on down sometime, we had a blast. Besides, a MX race is like a special test. Balls out sprint until the old body die's! Then its full on block mode. You do know how to play road hog don't you? :p

By the way, there is a Grand Prix in Fort Smith AR on Nov 25 (River Front Grand Prix). 2 hours long, 9 mile course. Sounds like a hoot to me. We should all make plans to attend. Any of the other Heartland Spodes interested?

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I've been looking for some winter races. I'll have to think about the Gran Prix.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sawblade, more details on the Nov. 25. We could have a reunion! lol.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Originally posted by justql
Wait a minute, one of us wasn't at DW.:think Just kidding:p

Talk about rubbing salt in a open wound! :( Last weekend was my Dirtweek, er Dirtnight! ;)

Bswift,
Check this out for more information:

http://www.arkansasharescramble.com/

There is also a team race, maybe everyone could pair up! MXer's against bark strippers!

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Uhoh!! Is that a challenge???:eek: I don't know, the last time Bswift said he'd be my partner he hurt himself just so he wouldn't have to ride with me.:think

Last edited:

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
I just figured he didn't want to be parnters with a someone who wears loafers instead of riding boats! :eek: ;)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Now wait a minute, I resemble those remarks.:p Woods riders vs. mx'rs? Sounds like fun. BTW, I located some reasonably priced "hush puppies", so I'll be stylin'!! lol. Justql, I'll ride with you, I really do prefer to keep the rubber side down. Is Turkey day before or after this race?:think

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Turkey day is the Thursday before this race. So everyone will be good and stuff! A friend of mine rode the River Front Grand Prix last year. It was a complete mud feast. Hope its dry this year. I had enough mud last weekend to last me through next year! I know, I know. MX rider needs some wine and cheese! :confused:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Turkeyday GP in Ft. Smith. Sounds like something to put on the calender. Could this be a mini spodefest? :think

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
We'll see what happens between now and then. As far as a the woods vs MX thing. Steve Levian, really fast blackjack champion(woods rider) won last year I believe, :D

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I've rode the RFGP 3 times now and it is a blast! I'll be there for the tree smasher team!

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Smitty,
Sounds good. I just hope its not cold and wet like it was last year. Any other MX riders want to try your hand? We need to balance the this team adventure challange!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom