recharging nitrogen in rear shock?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Considering that the air you are breathing is 78% nitrogen, I doubt it.

And, unless you have the equipment, you'll need to take it to someone.

Most big name tire centers should have what you need. Goodyear in my area will charge it for me. Try them.

lestat357

Dec 5, 2007
lol i failed science obviously thanks ill probably end up doing that but now im wondering how much the equipment would cost to do it myself im always in search of more tools lol

lestat357

Dec 5, 2007
yea i checked that out lol that would definitely be more than its worth thanks for the info

Atruckee

Mar 19, 2007
Why do you need to? Unless you took the cap off the schrader valve and released the nitrogen on purpose, why is the pressure low? Usually if you need nitrogen charged, you probably need to have the shock serviced. Loss of oil is much more common than leaking nitrogen. Or are you thinking of doing your own shock rebuilds and wondering what it will cost to get set up for it?

lestat357

Dec 5, 2007
Atruckee said:
Why do you need to? Unless you took the cap off the schrader valve and released the nitrogen on purpose, why is the pressure low? Usually if you need nitrogen charged, you probably need to have the shock serviced. Loss of oil is much more common than leaking nitrogen. Or are you thinking of doing your own shock rebuilds and wondering what it will cost to get set up for it?

im rebuilding this bike almost entirely and figured id do the suspension to..i would think that after a while the nitrogen would break down or leak out a bit? - thanks everyone

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
lestat357 said:
i would think that after a while the nitrogen would break down or leak out a bit? - thanks everyone

Only if there was a problem with the bladder in your shock.

Nitrogen doesn't "breakdown", which is why it's used in shocks.

Still wouldn't hurt to rebuild it, considering it's age.

Atruckee

Mar 19, 2007
INDY MX is spot on. The Nitrogen doesn't break down but the oil sure does. If you replace the oil in your shock and forks, the difference in feel will be amazing, even if you don't revalve or anything else. If it's been a couple years, that oil is probably due. If it's been since '98, it's way overdue. It's funny that some people will change their gearbox oil every other ride but expect their suspension oil to last forever. I'm not singling you out, you are obviously making an effort to maintain it properly. There are plenty of people on here who can help.

lestat357

Dec 5, 2007
i dont know anything about this bikes history and i got it broken. right now its in a million pieces in my basement lol but tax return time hopefully itll be a beast-im doing everything just about. itll be one of the cleanest 98s around probably. i might not wanna sell it after i fix it up lol

Top Bottom