robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Ok guys I just passed the bar exam and am hoping to have the money to have some work done on the motor before New Year - I'm beginning to seriously consider what to have Eric do to my 02 RM 125. Given the new AMA rules permitting 144cc, I want to know what people recommend.

At this time its got Bill's Pipe and Silencer, Wiseco Crank, Rod, Piston, Hinson Clutch. I'm usually on very tight tracks so I'm using 11/52 gearing. I switch to 12/52 on the 1.1 mile local national style track.. I run 100LL AV GAS w/ Mobil 1 Racing 2T at 32:1.

I'm interested in input on the following:

1: 134 or 144 kit?

2: Is there much difference in reliability between the 134 and 144.

3: What type porting? i.e. low-mid, mid-top, mo better?

4: Compression?

5: Is it worth spending $500 +/-? Are the benefits worth it? I've got some people telling me it won't make me faster. However, on the tracks I normally race, time is made in the corners and exiting them. I have to believe that 5-7 hp increase will get me out of the corners quicker. . .?

Thanks

Rob

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
No response?

Come on guys . . . all these hits and no response?? I've asked a somewhat similar question several months ago, but at that time I had been intent on either a port job or a 134 kit. Now I'm leaning toward a 144, but have concerns with reliability. I've only ever heard from one person that I can remember regarding reliability issues on a 144.

Please give me some input.

Thanks

Rob

kx137

Jul 1, 2002
The only person whos advice you need to heed is Eric Gorr himself. Im sure he is the person whose advice you should seek first and foremost regarding what porting / engine is right for you. Also you dont provide enough information. Are you a beginner just starting racing? What is your weight. What is your riding style. What kind of dirt are most of the tracks you ride at (loamy - hardpack), is your bike lacking power somewhere or is it just tapped out and you can't get anymore out of it?

Just to give you something to reference I guess here goes ... Im half asleep so bear w/ me - I raced 125/250 intermediate for a few years. Like you, I just recently passed my NCLEX and purchased an 06 KX250 (Best bike I have ever owned handsdown). I weigh in at 185-190lbs fully geared 6'3. I always loved the 125's racing but was never quite able to just ride the track w/ friends and enjoy goofing around, relaxing, and not having to rail every corner just perfect to clear the triples etc. I had my 125 bored out by RPM to a 154 while my best friend had his bored out to a 144 at the same time. We both had many issues w/ the nicom plating wearing down by the exhaust port and had to have them replated several times over the years. Our bikes always seemed to run on the hot side also (Texas?). I had mine set up for topend b/c nothing makes me happier than a motor that revs to the moon. You may prefer a midrange for a tight track. I could care less about bottomend power b/c I kept it in the power band the entire time. I used a FMF SST, vortex mod, tried single / 2 ring pistons, vforce, racegas, etc. I have ultimately found out that the only thing I really NEED is practice, practice, practice, new tires, Race gas (not avgas - read Rich's article about avgas http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=115202 ), and great jetting. Anything else IMO is a waste of money. My friend who had the 144 eventually sold his bike and purchased a new ktm 125. That bike runs harder and better than either of our bikes ever did even with all the upgrades.

Last edited:

kx137

Jul 1, 2002
Good Luck with your new career and hopefully I wont see you in the ER anytime soon :)

Ohh and I am not saying that a 144 kit is a bad thing as I would recommend that you get one at one point (err a 06 KX250 :laugh: ,but if people are telling you that you need help in the corners, power isnt always the answer and may only make things worse. I spent over $1300+ for my 154 and my best friend spent about $900 for his 144 so Eric's prices and service are unbeatable. I have heard great great things from many people at the track and on these forums about eric gorrs kits as compared to RPM (personal exp) and this reputation has convinced me to tear my brand new bike apart and send him my motor in the next couple weeks for a porting / head mod.

Last edited:

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Thanks

I've ridden a total of 15 years but am just starting racing - I've raced 6 or 7 times thus far.

Weight: 140

Height: 5'4"

125 C, Unlimited C/D, 30+.

Riding style: I love jumps, corner speed has improved by 30% since I started racing. Whoops kill me so far. I typically ride at 85-90% speed (I'm 33 with a wife, child and burgeoning career. lol). I can keep it on the pipe - low end is not a big deal to me either - but I might like it if I had it . . .

Most tracks are hardpack, although my favorite is river bottom loam.

Rob

Top Bottom