Factor

Feb 27, 2007
I'm leaking oil/gas from around the cylinder base and I'll be replacing the base gasket and the 2 o-rings on my 2001 yz125. I was wondering when doing this, do I have to take apart the powervalve housing and the push rod? After I remove the cylinder head and the cylinder nuts I should just be able to lift off the cylinder and put the new gasket on right? Oh and the manual calls to use lithium soap base grease on the o-rings. Would a white lithium grease work? Any tips would be appreciated.

Jan 3, 2007
Factor, you mine as well take aprt the housing just to cleanit out. Yes after you take off the nuts you should be able to take off the cylinder. Also, the reason they say a soap based grease is because the o-rings are rubber. A regular grease might eat away at them or not seal correctly.

Factor

Feb 27, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
Factor, you mine as well take aprt the housing just to cleanit out. Yes after you take off the nuts you should be able to take off the cylinder. Also, the reason they say a soap based grease is because the o-rings are rubber. A regular grease might eat away at them or not seal correctly.

Ok, I'm assuming I can buy that cleaner and the soap base grease @ any motorsports shop?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You don't even have to take the head off if you are just replacing the base gasket. While you are in there, it's also a good time to take a look at your reeds.

Top Bottom