Votes: 72 13.3%
  • I'm not a KDX owner and i repack every other year

Votes: 19 3.5%
  • I'm not a KDX owner and i repack more than once per year

Votes: 68 12.6%

• Total voters

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
I just pulled mine apart and found the mesh tube was completely packed with spooge that has crusted on to the metal and packing. It took 30 minutes just to clear about 1/3 of the tube. I'd say from now on I will keep a better eye on it. Now to pull the spark arrestor out and clean it up.

Crimeidy26

Aug 6, 2008
I took my FMF PCII S/A off the bike today and did a shorty mod. I cut the silencer off before the weld where its bent so no more hockey stick just a shorty. I took out the old packing and it was a little black around the internal pipe and clean everywhere else. I went up into the attic and grabbed a few handfulls of insulation and packed it up. The bike sounds good and isn't very loud which was surprising. The end of the silencer ends about at the end of the number plate which looks so much better than the hockey stick crap. So i guess repacking wasn't necessary but i did it anyways since i had the S/A off anyways because of shortening it for better sound.

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
Jim Crenca said:
Oven cleaner works pretty well for clean up but I managed to dis-color the aluminium housing on my FMF unit this weeked with oven cleaner (did I mess up the clear annodizing?).
Hey Jim...I am a house keeper by trade and oven cleaner does make aluminum go a differnt color but very fine steel wool will remove most of it or use MAAS silver polish. I am a oven cleaner freak as I use it on everything myself just have to know the technical side...Also for a great tip for cleaning dirt bikes I use Greased Lightning also a great cleaner for everyting. Any house keeping tips for you dirty dirt bikers let me know. :laugh: :rotfl:

Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
we repacked my kx85 when we put a Cobra sparkarrester on. My powerband got shorter, probably because the fricken thing wouldnt fit. But it was still very strong. I used some stuff from MOTOSPORT and it worked well.

dave89b

Nov 7, 2009
i repacked my old answer silencer/spark arrestor today with the yellow insulation. i couldn't find any pink lol i think i did it right? it sounds a lot better but still reallly loud. bog power difference too. oil soaked pink insulation is what came out of it.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I repacked the can on my sons KX-60 (PSI header, unknown silencer, looks like an FMF). I packed it really tight, and the bike ran really bad as a result. Took it back out and packed it loosely, and all is good again. FWIW. I just used normal house insulation fiberglass.

Winkel

Oct 17, 2009
I repacked mine yesterday (Pro Circuit) with the Owens Corning pink stuff. The wad I pulled out looked like a rolled up sock, or fiberglass matting. Only a few of the holes were plugged, but the new packing made a nice difference in the noise level. It is noticeably quieter, but I didn't notice any significant difference in performance.

An earlier poster noted a problem with house insulation melting at 500 F, or something of that nature. I don't know about the rest of you, but if my spark arrestor reaches 500F, something's wrong.

Based on what several others have posted, the pink stuff should be fine, you just might have to re-pack it more often.
I could see where it might be a problem on a four stroke because they run much hotter. I don't really believe it will be a problem in a two stroke.
Just my two cents.
Thanks,
Winkel

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Crimeidy26 said:
I took my FMF PCII S/A off the bike today and did a shorty mod. I cut the silencer off before the weld where its bent so no more hockey stick just a shorty. I took out the old packing and it was a little black around the internal pipe and clean everywhere else. I went up into the attic and grabbed a few handfulls of insulation and packed it up. The bike sounds good and isn't very loud which was surprising. The end of the silencer ends about at the end of the number plate which looks so much better than the hockey stick crap. So i guess repacking wasn't necessary but i did it anyways since i had the S/A off anyways because of shortening it for better sound.

Good deal. We need louder bikes around and I'm sure that all of that extra sound gave you TONS of power, probably more than one of those new RED powerbands (you know, the type R ones..They're rare, but make your bike scary fast). Well done! :|

sx2504life

Sep 30, 2009
i own a four stroke now and it had never been packed since the day it was owned its only a 250 but in the recent months i noticed people saying it sounded like a 450 and they could hear me from even futher away then normal which is no good if you ride a mx bike in the state forests here in australia (need a regiersted bike and licence) and now since i clean it and repacked it, it now is fairly quiet not super quiet but sounds like a normal 250 4 stroke and there has been a major boost in power but it gained power right across the range not just bottom or top but i think top had the biggest regain. i asked my local parts guy he said you should also silcone the ends again when you repack it otherwise it escapes out there abit and you can loose some power but not much but it can also make it more nosie. best way too clean is to blow tourch it off by far and give it a rub with a wire brush cause fire is fun to play with

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
now the poll is getting ineteresting...

if you have a kdx then most likely you never repack.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I just bought my wife an 02kx100 "project". Have it all torn down now, in hind sight I should've taken pictures of the end result of years of neglect. Silencer had zero packing in it. (FMF SST/Powercore2) Probably because the kid took it out when he hacked the airbox looking for all the free power he could get. :bang: Carb has stock jetting. Air filter was filthy, hard and brittle. Air boot from filter to carb was filthy on the inside. I don't have any idea why the lower end fragged? :whoa: Piece by piece she's on her way to the glory days again. Good thing parts are cheap for this little beast! If anyone is interested some "FMX" plastic(hacked, smashed and scraped) for a late model kx mini I have a box full, lol. :|

Moral of the story....sure, you can pretend silencer packing doesn't matter. But to me, it's like the first step in pretending your bike doesn't need maintenance. If the decision to buy 8 bucks worth of packing and spend 30 minutes installing it is hard for you, your bike might just end up like this little kx...... :nener:

Top Bottom