Jan 16, 2005
I'm putting a new IRC on the back (three times in the last hour) and can't get the bead to set right around the rim lock.

It sits perfect everywhere except there. The tire bulges in that area when I start to inflate it...Any suggestions would help. I'm going to pour a stiff vodka and stare at it for now. :think:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
That whole "tire bulges" part has me concerned. You didn't break the bead did you? I had a customer who described the same problem to me, then brought me the thing to mount. Needless to say, he had broken the bead and when I went to air it up to seat the bead it popped off in my face...... :bang:
If you broke the bead, get yourself a new tire. If not, use more air pressure and some dish soap. Mind you, if you're not sure one way or the other, have someone who can tell, look at it for you. If you pop the bead off in your face, you won't like it. My.02, YZ165

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
"I'm going to pour a stiff vodka and stare at it for now"

HA HA HA, thats gold. Take it to a tyre shop man, and have more vodka in the meantime!

Jan 16, 2005
Thanks guys..I got it. I didn't realized that I didn't have the nut on the rim lock loose enough. ;) The tire wasn't getting under that little plastic/rubber piece attached to the rimlock.

captbly99

May 30, 2005
That same exact thing happened to me once. It was my first tire changing experiece. I called the local pro shop and they told me about not having the rim lock bolt loose enough. Went right on after I loosened it, live and learn I guess.
Sure did make my blood pressure go up!

OldDirtKDX

~SPONSOR~
Dec 14, 2004
Stone Cold Sober

We all screw up! I pulled a late night, last minute tire change. Snugged the rim lock down and THEN mounted my tire! Just couldn't get the bead to set straight. I inflated, deflated, moved the tire, Etc. After about a half hour of %#$@ing around and pinching a tube, I was begining to wish I drank! :coocoo: Tore the tire back off and you know how dumb I felt. :bang:

Jan 16, 2005
Yep. And then after feeling like an idiot I finally got it on right only to realize I had the tire on in the wrong direction. :bang:

I have to say though the stock Dunlop tubes are pretty damn tough, After remounting that tire four or five times I still never pinched a tube, and by that point I was muscling that thing on like a gorilla.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
FFR..

When you change a tire, loosen the rim lock nut about to the end of the threads. For the installation phase, put the first bead on the wheel all the way around, the bead will end up in the middle of the rimlock. Install your tube.

Then, while holding the rimlock to the rim from the 'inside' (spoke side), use your tire iron to lift the bead over the lip of the rimlock (from the opposite side you put the bead on to start with) then push the rimlock up into the tire.

Using the same process (pushing the rimlock 'out') start your irons for the second bead at the rim lock.

Before you air up your tube, you should be able to freely push the rimlock in against your partially inflated tube.

Uh...you partially inflated the tube before you stuffed it in (without any kinks/twists), right?

Good!

OldDirtKDX

~SPONSOR~
Dec 14, 2004
Baby Powder!

Another thing I learned from a Dunlop tire Rep. was to use plenty of Talcum powder on the inside of the tire and on the tube. It seems to work as a dry lubricant aleviating twists and wrinkles in the tube. It even seems to help avoid catching and pinching the tube with the tire irons.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
I pulled out an Dirt Bike Best of Tech version the other night and it suggested placing the rim lock next to the valve stem to make for an easier install. Anybody here feel the same? I'm remounting ours today after truing and replacing 4 spokes in the back rim.

Top Bottom