bike'r steve

Apr 1, 2002
what are the differences between the rm and rmx? other than the lights what else is different? will rmx lighting coils fit in a rm? Lights would be cool but not in sacrificing engine performance. is there really that much difference's in the motor? any premium years for the rmx?

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I rode a 96 RMX for a few years. Lots of power. One of the best all around bikes made. If you are going to trail ride or race woods or cross country the RMX is for you. If you are going to strictly mx then I'd go with the RM.

92cr

May 18, 2002
I think you have to go back to 1992[for the rm] to be able to swap parts between an rm and rmx. The new ones have entirely different motors.

SiCnTwIsTdYz

Apr 10, 2002
the rmx is a trail version of the rm the rm is a motocross bike, yet the rmx has a spark arrester on it the rm doesnt, also there is some changes that the rm doesnt have to make it more milder powered

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
The RMX was based on the '89-'92 RM250. Lots of parts interchange. Changes were: bigger 3-gal. gas tank (still slim, tho) 18" rear wheel, kick stand, case protectors, lighting coil & lights, heavier flywheel, milder porting, slightly-softend suspension, odometer & spark arrester. The expense involved converting an MXer to off road lead me to favor buying something with all the above; the RMX needed a few things to wake it up (pipe, S/A, head gasket) & make it feel even better (forward bar mounts & tall seat foam).

All one needs to do to get RM-like HP figures is to replace the exhaust & install a '89 RM250 head gasket. It will not win drag races against MX bikes, but once clicked into 5th, can leave them behind, & it is still easy to man-handle in the rocks (lower 1st & 2nd) where throttle control is required due to milder porting. The head gasket & exhaust is the basics to significant power gains to then match the good stock suspension.

The '93-'95 RMs were updated somewhat, whereas the RMX received few changes; likewise in '96-'98 when all the RMX got were conventional forks, slightly heavier springs, & some more HP. In '99 Suzuki stopped importing the RMX to the US (EPA/CARB requirements), but the rest of the world got a new one based on the '96-'97 RM; slim but with all the fine enduro features mentioned above.

There are certainly better 2 stroke off-road "only" bikes today (Gas Gas, KTM, Husky) which picked up where Suzuki left off, but none come from Japan as they have tooled up for straight gassers.

Minuses: Heavier than MX bikes (tho lighter than 4 strokes), & some like to razz yellow bikes. Oh: the stock (MX!) carb is difficult to jet for idle/off-of idle. A 38mm PWK solves the mystery.

Pluses: Very reliable, dependable, cheap to buy used & keep; a buy for the bargain hunters. Absolutely excellent suspension setup for off road. Easy to ride, turns well.

Good all-around but not overwhelming power. Fine-looking (N-Style) graphics kits can be had, along with a moderate level of aftermarket parts.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
now find me a bike :) [/B]

They're around. Keep checking recycler.com or cycle trader on-line. You may find that KX you really want.

I've got mixed thoughts re: sell my son's or not; I may need the $ if the job search doesn't pan out, but I need someone to ride with me to get my mind off this current situation, & to replace it later, well, I may not have the dough...

Top Bottom