Creeper9

~SPONSOR~
Oct 28, 1999
I've heard alot of good reports about this tire, and I am interested in trying it out but have a few Q's about the S-12.

I've got about 1300 miles on my original bridgestone rear (M-402) and was wondering if I could expect to get similar mileage on the S-12 rear. How fast do they wear? Am I going to be replacing these tires every 6 months, or can they handle 2-3 years of abuse without giving up?

How consistant is the traction with these? What I mean is, are they the type of tire that as they wear, they get worse, or can I expect basically the same traction througout the wear period? better or worse with time and wear? Where I'm coming from is - My stock front (Bridgestone M-something or other) was terrible at first, but I love it now. I'd hate to give up something I like for something that I wont like.

(I normaly replace worn tires with Dunlop 752s but I'd like to try a more modern tire that isn't discontinued!)

Any opinions are welcome.
Thanks!
-Kurt

If it helps I'm riding an 03 250EXC

FLEM

Sep 22, 2004
try the new dunlopps 773's they are awesome for michigan sand, the front was a huge improvement over whatever was stock(Bridbeston) on my KTM , I've got them on front of both my bikes and still have a 756rear on the Kawasaki. I've got a 773 rear on the 450 KTM but I've only got like 3 miles on it so I don't know how it will wear. the KTM is much harder on rear tires than the KX is.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I've run 773's and loved them on my KDX220, but they wore very fast. I have S-12's on my 470 berg they have over 1200 miles on them and still look great. I'm not a wheel spinner; also I ride very little black top.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
I've beat an S-12 on the back of my 520 since late summer. That's a couple thousand miles with a generous amount of pavement included. Seems to be holding up well. I've heard guys complain that the tire loses it's initial bite right away but I've not found that to be the case. It's overall performance has been very good. I'd consider putting another one on if it were DOT (DOT is preferred for the riding I do).

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Another tire to consider is the Maxxis IT. They are relatively inexpensive and wear like iron. Downside is that they are a very stiff heavy tire. www.rockymountainmc.com has them pretty cheep.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
The S 12 will wear better than the bridgestone you had and the traction will be better, Get the 130/18.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I know what you mean Creeper, the 752 had been my favorite for a long time. Your inquiry makes me laugh because I would still be running those good old Chen Shing 760's if you could get them in 19 inch!! :laugh:
My KX500 likes to toss knobs off the S-12's (ask Mweissen - he knows). I have tried them a couple times and they just didnt stay together.. You might wanna try Kenda Trac Master. CHEAP and I think you would be amazed at how close they are to 752's in traction with a MAJORLY improved resistance to wear - also, if your a duel sporter they are DOT approved!!!
Just a thought!
Woodsy

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
S-12's give great traction but the rear tires like to chunk, especially if you get into some harder terrain.

The Kenda TracMasters are a great low cost tire for the rear but the front version looks kinda suspect. I put a set on my XR250 because they are DOT approved but I have never pushed them that hard. They do wear like iron though.

A good hi-mileage compromise might be an S12 on the front and a Kenda on the rear.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
woodsy said:
I know what you mean Creeper, the 752 had been my favorite for a long time.

Hey Woodsy. Just thought I would teas ya a little. I have a BRAND NEW 120/90-19 D752 hanging in my shed. All shined up with Armor All and lookin pretty. I bring it with me on the ocasional ride to tease Huby with :bang: Makes him just GREEN with envy :laugh:

Last edited:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Kurt - I love the S-12s.

I think they hold up amazingly well. At times where you might look at the tire on my bike and think it is trashed, I am amazed how well it still seems to hook up inspite of appearing rather worn. If you endin up taggin along on my little WV trip dont put the new S-12s on until afterwards - I expect the rocks down there to eat them alive!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
YZMAN400 said:
Hey Woodsy. Just thought I would teas ya a little. I have a BRAND NEW 120/90-19 D752 hanging in my shed. All shined up with Armor All and lookin pretty. I bring it with me on the ocasional ride to tease Huby with :bang: Makes him just GREEN with envy :laugh:

You ROTTEN sucker Don!!!
I can just see Huby's face :yikes:
OK, note to self, find YZMAN's house when he's not home and break into his shed :moon:
Leave a note that says: Holding for ransom 1 new 752, will be returned nobless when you tell me the Renie story :nener:

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
I have used M12 front and S12 rear for quite awhile and have been very satisfied with traction and wear in just about every terrain. Prior to this I used Dunlop 739 and 756. I think the Michelins wear better than the Dunlops. However, with all of the recent developments I am considering switching back to Dunlops. I like the M12/S12 tires and they have served me very well but I'm not sure that I can support Michelin anymore.

Creeper9

~SPONSOR~
Oct 28, 1999
Thanks for all the input guys. It's funny, for a while there I thought I might be the only one on the MTR board sill hooked on 752s.... :moon:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
DanAKAL said:
I have used M12 front and S12 rear for quite awhile and have been very satisfied with traction and wear in just about every terrain. Prior to this I used Dunlop 739 and 756. I think the Michelins wear better than the Dunlops. However, with all of the recent developments I am considering switching back to Dunlops. I like the M12/S12 tires and they have served me very well but I'm not sure that I can support Michelin anymore.

Hey Dan,

Send me a PM or turn on your e-mail option. I would love to ask you some questions about AK.

Tim :cool:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
BadgerMan said:
S-12's give great traction but the rear tires like to chunk, especially if you get into some harder terrain.

The Kenda TracMasters are a great low cost tire for the rear but the front version looks kinda suspect. I put a set on my XR250 because they are DOT approved but I have never pushed them that hard. They do wear like iron though.

A good hi-mileage compromise might be an S12 on the front and a Kenda on the rear.

I switched to MS2's on the rear of the YZ250F and Cr250, and they hold up better than S-12's and do as good a job on hookup.

Anybody use the Pirelli's soft terrain tires that are also DOT legal? They look good in the pictures....the price isn't bad either. Can't remember the numbers, I'll have to look them up and add them later.

Top Bottom