seized connectong rod - any options?

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
my son called me and told me his bike, a 1993 KX125, had seized up on him after he had been riding for 20 minutes or so. Tore it down and discovered the rod is almost seized on the crank. The piston surface and head chamber also looked as if it had some debris damage (very slight). The cylinder wall has no damage.
Is the only option at this point to buy a new crank? I don't have the tools to separate the crank or press the halves back together. I believe I could split the cases and reassemble, but would it make more sense to leave it to the professional, i.e. Eric/2fast?

HLT

Sponsoring Member
Dec 15, 2000
If you can split the cases yourself, you will save $$. You can have the crank rebuilt with a Hot Rod or other crank kit for about $140 to $160, depending on what the shop charges for labor. Don't know about Kawasaki, but new Honda cranks are only slightly more than a rebuild. You should also replace the main bearings and crank seals since they will have gotten metal in them. If you have the crank rebuilt, make sure it is with a reputable crank rebuilder. There are several that advertise in Cycle News.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom