skthom2320

Oct 11, 2001
Anywhere to do MX in the California Bay Area or Central Coast? Looking to a possible move to Santa Cruz and have an MX addiction to feed. Not interested in trail riding...

Thanks!

The Tortoise

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Here are a few places:

1. Liivermore, CA (SF Bay Area)
Club Moto
http://www.clubmoto.com

2. Tracy, CA (SF Bay Area and very close, 10 min, from Club Moto)
R Speed Motocross
http://www.rivardspeed.com/

3. Marysville, CA (2 hours north of SF Bay Area)
Marysville MX Park
http://marysvillemx.com

There is several tracks at Hollister in OHV Park (1 hour south of SF Bay Area)

There is a track at Carniege OHV Park (near Livermore)

There is several tracks at Praire City (Sacramento, CA)

Thee is a track in Brentwood, CA

Enjoy

The "MX" Tortoise

skthom2320

Oct 11, 2001
OK - so Club Moto is about as far as I'd want to go on a weekend from Santa Cruz. Their web site pretty much answers it all. Does it get crowded? Organized practice on weekends?

How about MX at Hollister? What's the scoop? Their web site indicates a couple of tracks but I couldn't tell if they were open regularly or what. Are they groomed/kept up regularly?

What about down the Central Coast / San Luis Obispo? I saw a track at Laguna Seca but it looked more like a few trails and small bumps - no doubles, step-ups, step-downs, etc.

The Tortoise

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
1. Club Moto is open everyday except Mon. It is crowded every night on weekdays and crowded in mornings on weekends. Best time to ride is after 1pm on Sat or Sun. They race usually on Fri's. The track is very well maintiained. Awsome. Kiddy night is Wed from 4 to 8pm. 90cc and under.

2. Hollister does not take real good care of tracks. They are only crowded on weekends. They don't groom often. State parks don't put much effort into tracks.

3. Laguna Sega is open on weekends. It use to be run like Club Moto. Now it is for practice only. There is a web site for this. I forgot it

Note:

I'm a woods and desert rider. I know of these tracks because my kids ride Club Moto every Wed night. I talk to everyone. I've seen the other tracks except for Laguna Sega. Enjoy. Club Moto is for the serious rider and the one who wants a perfect track. R speed is not as well maintained. Marysville is your other choice.

The Tortoise

soquel

Mar 19, 2002
Her I live in Soquel, To get the record straight, Hollisters GP track is sic and usually prepared very well , this track is seperate from the main park and is only opened for special events, It is open most weekeds, the schedule is posted on their website. The other riding area I go to is Metcalf in Santa Clara it is about a 35 minute drive from Santa Cruz so it is closer than hollister but it is much smaller, I don't mind cause I only go there only for the moto-x track

skthom2320

Oct 11, 2001
Have you got a "call before you haul" number for the Santa Clara mx track? I ride only MX now so that is what I would be most interested in.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Hey Soquel- I was born & raised there, lived there for 27 years until I moved away two years ago. Whatcha doin' there? & Welcome to DRN. Lotsa fun people here.

Skthorn2320- why do you want to move to Santa Cruz? There's lots of other nice places to move, where the price of living isn't so freaking high (highest in the U.S. now).

skthom2320

Oct 11, 2001
Don't want to. Have to. Family deal. We have a house already in Pacific Grove (mother-in-law owns rental) so cost of living will not kill us. I'm not sure why I mentioned SC - most people also know Monterey (but not Pacific Grove)!

Dirt biking here in Houston couldn't be any better. I have three terrific MX tracks within 30 minutes. Always prepped. I'm not looking forward to going back to California (born and bred in NorCal). Arrrgh.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I hear ya. I moved to Fresno, which is more conservative & more like a mid-western town than anything near the Silicon Valley:uh:

Dwayne

Aug 21, 2001
skthorn there are about a 6 awesome promoters in the bay area that run mx races just about every other weekend if not every weekend. they usually have open practice on sat. and racing on sun. there are probably about 9-10 sic tracks within 2-2 1/2 hours from pacific grove.
moto on
Dwayne

S

Saratoga

When you say Santa Clara MX track I assume you mean Metcalf. It is in Santa Clara County but in the city of San Jose Go to the State Park Recreation site and check it out. Phone # 408-226-5223
If you have 3 groomed MX tracks near you then Metcalf will be a big disappointment. It is unmaintained and slick as cement with sand on top unless it just rained. Like someone said above the Hollister GP track will be the closest that is good. They have open practice on SAT. and races on Sun. pretty often. Club Moto is very nice but about a 2 hr one way drive from PG.
Location wise, you need a surfboard or scuba tanks.

soquel

Mar 19, 2002
Hey Guys, Sorry it took me so loing to reply, Yes it is true that metcalfs mx track use to be pretty sad but mutant motorsports recently had a race there so the track was revamped It think its open everyday except wednesday and thursday. Its nice if you don't want to drive all the way to hollister or club moto, Metcalf has a website but I cant remember it Just search for metcalf motocross
Hey Zio I'm going to Fresno this weekend to ride with some relatives that I've never met ,anyway any good mx tracks up there?
Oh yeah, have you guys heard of the Ridge Riders? I think they are a offroad club that owns some land in the santa cruz mountains.

Top Bottom