Shifting Problem from 2nd to 3rd

sbt3

Nov 13, 2005
I don't really know much if anything about the transmissions on these bikes. I have a 2002 CR 125 which is having an issue shifting from 2nd to 3rd. All of the other gears seam to be fine occasionally i'll also have an issue from 4th to 5th but I don't usually go in 5th gear very often so I can't say if it's an issue or not.

Basically 1 out of every 5 shifts works fine from 2nd to 3rd the other 4 out of 5 trys are hard to get in, I'll have too try to hit it up a few times before it goes in. Sometimes slowing down a little helps. Any ideas on what to look for? The oil in the case is fresh and the same stuff that I have used in the past so that shouldn't an issue.

Thanks
Stan

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Could be a bent shift fork. Requires splitting the cases to repair. Remove the right side cover first and inspect the shift mechanism at the shift drum. Make sure everything is tight and the little roller that rides against the shift drum index is not worn or damaged.

sbt3

Nov 13, 2005
Thanks for the advice. I played with the shift lever a little yesterday hoping that adjusting it may help but it didn't seem to. Guess I'll have to take it apart. I'll probably wait for a few more rides since after spring I don't ride much again until fall.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
sbt3 said:
I'll probably wait for a few more rides since after spring I don't ride much again until fall.

The more you ride it the more damage it will do. Right now you may only have to replace a shift fork or two. If you continue to ride it, there is a possibility it will wear the shift dogs on the sides of your gears and then you will also have to replace gears. There is also a chance of broken pieces inside of the gearbox. If this is the case, the gearbox will destroy itself if you continue to ride it. Drain the oil and make sure there are no broken bits inside.

Top Bottom