bte

~SPONSOR~
May 1, 2001
I decided it was time for me to revalve my shock myself (my first). I have revalve my forks may times, so I didn't think the shock would be to bad.

Everything went very well. Even easier than I thought, to get it apart. Once I had it apart I was taking notes on the shim stack and came across something I couldn't understand, so I thought I would ask the Pro's (of atleast the guys that see more shocks than me).

A little info.
04 TE250
Sachs shock.

I understand that not may people have worked with the Sachs, but maybe someone can tell me why they did this or has seen this before.
The Question:
In the rebound shim stack. I have a stack of 3 - 38 o.d. 12 i.d. shims. The 2nd shim in this stack is a 36 o.d. with another 38 o.d. 36 i.d. shim outside of the 36 o.d. shim.
So it's
(all shims are the same thickness)
38 o.d. - 12 i.d.
36 o.d. - 12 i.d. / 38 o.d.- 36 i.d.
38 o.d. - 12 i.d
It seem to me that it would be the same as 3 38 o.d. shims.

Maybe this is done alot, and I just don't know it because this is the first shock I have taken apart.

I'm sure that there is a reason it is setup like this, but what is the reason ?

Thanks for any info
brown

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Do you mean it has a shim thats like a band that sits around a smaller shim(36mm od)? as if so its like a pds-it preloads the shims and acts like a stiffer shim stack under small deflections, but on larger deflections its more like a normal stack.

bte

~SPONSOR~
May 1, 2001
Yes!
It is somewhat like a band. The 36 o.d. sits inside the 38 o.d. shim. When put together is form (1) 38mm o.d. shim.

Thanks,
brown

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Its what we call a preload shim, its purpose is as Marcus pointed out. In more techincal terms it increases the load of the stack without increasing the rate of the stack..

BR,
Jer

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom