zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
zio's moving to a small ranch (50 acres). The owner is willing to sell us his older kubota (equivelant of the newer L35 model). I can't remember the exact model. it's pretty well used, but has tons of attachments (loader, rotary mower, post hole digger, flailer, box scraper). He's asking $10k for all. The thing looks to be at least 10 yrs old, maybe 15. There is a lot of oil everywhere. Could be from leaks, could be from messy maintenance. I didn't look for an hour meter, just sort of scanned it quickly. I'll do that next time, as well as get the year/model number.

I've seen several comparable John Deeres, Fords, Massey Fergusons, New Hollands & Yanmars for less than that. Most are smaller, but they look to be newer & have fewer hours on them. Examples:
http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/caddetail.html?/ad-cache/9/3/6/71413136.htm

http://adcache.equipmenttraderonline.com/9/0/4/59548004.htm

What about FarmBoss (Chinese made, Jinma)? I can get a brand spankin' new one with front end loader & box scraper for under $11k.

If they aren't originally equipped with a front end loader, Koyker front end loaders seems to be what they're all equipped with.

What I'd really like is a Case 480 or 580 with a gannon box, and worry about mowing later. But my uncle has several that he can trailer out to our property if we ever need something that big.

I should also state what I need it for: brush clearing, field mowing, track building :aj: gardening, moving lots of dirt around, and especially to escape from zia when she's cranky.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Zio,
Get the Horsepower and also the number of hours so you can compare Machines that have an equal amount of use! But it doesn't seem to be a high price for a Kubota.
You got about $1500 to $2000 in attachements with the tractor, that puts your cost at about $8000.
The oil could be Hydralic fliud from the bucket squirting on everything. You'll just have to do some investigation to find out were it is coming from and replace some seals.
If you're worried about how he maintaned it, check and see how the air filter looks, that should give you an idea of how he treated it.
Fastline.com might give you some other comparisions.

BTW, Make sure you by Farm Diesel, you'll save 50cents a gallon.

Have fun :aj:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Thanks, smiffy. Seals, like around the PTO shaft, are easy to replace?

There's a good kubota dealer within 5 minutes of us, so parts won't be a problem at all. In fact, there are lots of tractor dealers. We're moving to an agriculture mecca. I'm not afraid of working on the thing if it's a good deal.

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Check the seals on the Hydralic cylinders for the bucket! The 2 on the side that lift the bucket could spray it all over and the 2 in the front could get the front end,

For the PTO shaft it's we bit more, but I'm no mechanic so won't try and explain it:) You might however have some hydroalic remotes in the back, which are above the PTO, to blame for any mess back there! I would check those out to, that's not a big deal cause the quick connectors aren't that great, mine drip a lot.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
It's an L3750 with 1011 hours on it. I couldn't find much info online, but I think it has about 35 hp (25 at the PTO), 4wd.... The oil I mentioned above is hydraulic fluid like you said. Maintenance has been done regularly. Tires look to be 80%. I just got thrown off by the banged up sheet metal, faded paint, etc, while the ones I've seen for sale online that look nice & shiny. Do they make any billet stuff for these things? :clue:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Zio any tractor that's actually been used is going to look the part, they just don't typically get the spit shine cosmetic care that a car or even bike see. As long as the maintenance is current they can go a long time looking ugly. My J-D was new and looked it when I got it, with 150 hours of clearing cedar, cutting fields, box blading roads and getting parked under the trees it's not perfect any more but it works great. You will be amazed how much you can do with one and how handy a loader is for doing things such as unloading a new bike still in a crate, moving that huge potted plant, getting up high enough to trim branches (and hang soccer field barrier netting). They are also a bit of a curse because like a truck (aka pickup in 'Pred speak) and a boat you will have lots more friends. Around here that 3750 with all the attachments would be closer to $7,000 with those kind of hours.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Zio, my Dad and all his farmer friends know this guy named "Harry" who lives here in Modesto and they ALL go see him for their tractor ailments, parts, etc. Maybe just call and talk to him if you need. I'll get the number from my Dad today.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Pman, .... peeman... pee'er.... piss pot... :) that price would include all the attachments? Because any extra cash we keep in our pockets is a huge deal right now. This guy isn't going to budge on the price, so I'd just as soon shop for another one after we move. And besides, I'm totally willing to rent an attachment as needed. As long as it has a loader & mower, we're good.

Natalie, let me know. It's starting to look like we'll be shopping for this stuff. Also, any advise your pops has would be appreciated. We're pretty green with this farm tractor stuff.

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I think it's a great deal. That's not alot of hours for a Diesel tractor!!
The average trade in for an L3750 up here is $7200, and the average hours on that model are about 5000 to 6000 hours. The dealer said most would sell on the lot for around $12,000 depending on the transmission, with a bucket and 4x4!

The L3750 has 46HP, 36 at the PTO and that model was made from 1982 to 1990. So that damn thing is brand new, the reason for the oil is probably from sitting to much, the seals have dried up. Little seal job, or maybe take in the Cylinders to be serviced.

To put the hours in perspective my ATV is an 02' model with 2400 hours on it and My Tractor has 1700 and its a 93'

Just call up a couple local Kubota dealers and see what they think. Besides It's orange :cool:

Goo Luck!

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
I don't know a lot about this subject but I have my 2 cents. To me that seems like a rather fair deal for the tractor and attachments, also kubota is a very well made tractor. My grandfather has the L35, amazing tractor. As for the price it was up there, brand new in 2000 he paid about $18,000 for the tractor with the bucket, rear scraper bar, 4 wheel drive, and all the little 'options' that were available, then about an extra $1200 for the mower attachment. As for the oil all over I'm not sure as its all over his as well. My guess is the quick connects or just the all the grease fittings oozing? Your guess would be as good as mine. Also we've already put close to 2000 hours on it so there are very low hours on the one you are looking at. All in all I'd say go for it! Very versatile nice tractor.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
while the manufacturers aren't too fond of the gray market machines, I know of several people who have bought them and they have no different trouble than someone who bought an American market machine. I think the gray market mostly applies to construction equipment rather than ag, though.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yes Zio that would be all inclusive on a base model with the attachments. My neighbor has pretty much that same setup and that's what he has in his, just no post digger. Keep in mind prices vary greatly based on where you are and what the demand is so maybe where you are it's a good deal. If you think it might be more tractor than you need (and it very well could be!) take a pass and purchase what you need. You would be amazed at what you can get done with even a compact utility tractor in the mid 20hp range and will save a load of cash plus typically the smaller tractors have lower hours. If you are planning to do a lot of field work then a large rig might have it's place but if you are just mowing/shreading and some loader work then there are lesser priced alternatives for sure. Tractor Supply might be your new favorite store as they have a lot of the stuff you need when living out in the sticks and even some stuff you didn't know you needed.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
For some reason, we just can't seem to feel good about that Kubota. We're spending so dang much on the property, we may as well spend a little more for the long run. So we went to a John Deere dealer yesterday just to look around. They were really cool. The guy asked us all about the property, what we'd be doing on it, what our time frame was, & offered this suggestion: Buy a near new rental return. They rent brand new tractors out to farmers year round, and get them back with about 100-200 hours on them. Then they go through them completely & sell them as new, with a savings of around $2-3k. So he took our name & will call us when something comes in that fits our needs. He showed us one such model (4510) that sells for $22k or so new with a bucket & scraper. I think it's worth it. Those things are bitchin'. Plus, he gave us free hats!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You better be sure you like green Zio! Straight up, the green tractors are like KTMs, theay and their parts are expensive but also usually better quality. Be sure to wear your cap at DW and you, Farmer John and myself can be a gang.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I just found this website- www.tractorbynet.com. Seems to have a lot of good info. The model may actually be a 4310 w/ 420 FEL. Can't remember now.

Also, we will need a small 4 wheeled vehicle (ack), and John Deere sells rebadged Bombardiers.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Becareful Zio. You don't fit the JD hat wearing type. If those O.K. farmboys see the tags on your car they just might want to fight you for it! :laugh:

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yeah bsmith is right on the reverser, I wish I had gone that route some times.

Zio if you are thinking about a 4 wheeled implement think about one of the units with a dump bed on the back and not a standard quad. Sams's club even has one that's pretty cheap especially compared to a Gator.

Oh and Pred, the bigger they are the harder they fall buddy :nener:

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Pred, we might have to get you a Toyota Hat to go along with that Kubota one :moon:

Top Bottom