FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I have a couple of small problems with my KDX :ugg: , and I want to fix them before New Year (It's Japanese custom!). Could anyone please help me?

1. Coolant Leak...Coolant is leaking a little bit under my bike. It seems like coming out around the drain plug. The plug looks fine, though. I also have to add some coolant in the sub tank every after ride. I thought that's not normal!?

2. Oil leak...I see some oil leak around the connection between the header pipe (pro circuit) and the engine.

3. Oil dripping... My exhaust pipe looks very oily after riding. The oil starts dripping under the pipe.

Is there any solution for these problems? I would appreciate it, if you could give me any suggestion. ;)

Mini

Last edited:

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Coolant:  Having to add to your overflow tank is normal.  The sloshing around while riding causes the coolant to leak out the overflow tube.  Which I would look at as a possible solution to your "coolant leak".  If the plug is indeed intact, look for the overflow tube coming off the overflow tank and check if the end is wet.  I run my kdx overflow tank below the low mark.

Oil Leak:  Check that the pipe is properly alligned, and seated all the way.  There are 2 O-ring (i think 2) seals on the pipe.  Check that they are in good condition.  If not replace them.  I like to give a little bit of a thin grease coating when I slide the pipe into place. 

Oil Dripping;  This is a jetting issue.  Here is a link http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/ .  Look at the jetting tips and that should get you started.

Good luck and I hope this helps
Lew

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
1. There's no coolant stored or piped there, it's just getting there by gravity from somewhere else. Check to see if it's leaking from the water pump cover, any of the hose fittings, or splits in any of the hoses themselves.

2. Not oil per se, but exhaust spooge. A small amount isn't unusual there but you don't want it drooling down the cylunder. Some pipes fit the cylinders better than others. You can mess up the fit when you crash on the pipe. Try a new exhaust gasket and perhaps something like chamber seal tape to make it seal better.

3. That's too much spooge. Maybe change your oil and/or ratio. Motul leaves me spooge-free, and they recommend you mix it at 50:1 or even 60:1, so there's less of it to create spooge.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
water pumps seal
re:Jet service power valve replace pipe o-rings buy fredette power ring.
re:jet
have a great hoilday season.

KDXTrreme

Oct 31, 2001
To eliminate my worries about always finding my reservoir a little less full than before I just took it off.. As far as I can tell, there's no real reason to leave it on. Now that it's off I don't worry about it anymore! I was careful for a while and would check the coolant level in the radiator before and after every ride and there was NEVER any that leaked out. I took the overflow hose from the reservoir and put it directly on the radiator overflow valve, I put a kink in the hose on it's way down below the bike, not a tight kink, the hose is still open, but it has an S kink so coolant would be less likley to splash out and it NEVER has. I checked this with Fredette before I did it and he gave me the OK.. He said I would also get better air flow thru that radiator and I guess I have. I race this bike very hard and have NEVER had any problems with overheating or anything else related to the removal of the reservoir. Don't worry about taking it off, mines been off for a year and there are NO problems.. My bike is a 98 KDX 200. I can't speak about every year model KDX but the 98 series has no problems with the reservoir removed. I'm sure there are those of you who disagree with me, perhaps there is a problem I have not had yet that you experienced, if you would, let me know what that problem was.

1. Spooge around pipe/cylinder = you need new orings and exhaust gasket and you may/probably need to re-jet.

2. Spooge coming from rear of silencer = OK, yes, re-jet. You're too rich.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You're all set?

A couple more things.......

1. Coolant leaking around drain plug

?? What drain plug? D36 (I think) is figuring you're referring to something around the tranny oil drain plug that's coming from someplace else. Yeah...if he's right in his supposition of 'drain plug'.

But, which 'drain plug' you talking about?

2. Spooge 'tween pipe and cylinder.

Common with a too-rich jetted bike. In some cases it's a matter of pipe misalignment..some of THAT could be fixed by taking off your S/A, loosening the attaching bolts, removing the retainer springs and making sure your pipe is indeed fit squarely to the cylinder. If you've bonked your pipe at all (you crash a lot, 'eh?..considering the brushguard seach issue), it's easy to have bent it so it just won't fit right whatever you do. A silicone sealant ring around the pipe/cylinder joint (clean it as well as you can) will help that.

No replacement for proper jetting, though.

3. Oil dripping from S/A

Another 'too-rich' indication. Some oils make more of a mess than others. How you ride also makes a difference. The same bike, the same fuel on the same day can have a HUGELY different 'appearance' jet-wise (have you read through mr. r's. post on that?)

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60392&perpage=20&display=&pagenumber=1

If you have a drain plug on your S/A (stock does), take out the plug and drain the goo. Rejet to correct for you.

If you tend to ride on the conservative side, run a #7 heat range plug. Not to confuse the issue here, but jetting to an 8 and running a 7 is a good way to go if you're not 'on the pipe' all the time.

If you ARE on it all the time, better to stick with the 8 heat range. An NGK rep told me they put an 8 in the kdx for a reason...that reason being it was the CORRECT plug!

(I don't need a learnin' from anyone about heat ranges and how 'you' use a 7 just fine. I've been around that issue a gazillion times.)

A step-up in heat range will let your bike run a bit hotter (up to 100º says NGK), so on a bit rich bike, ridden conservatively a 7 will cut down on the goo (still, no substitute for a proper jetting sequence..have I harped on that good enuf?).

All things being relatively ok, a bit of goo on your S/A isn't a real big deal.

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I went to a Kawasaki dealer on Friday and ordered some parts. The drain plug I meant was a bolt on the clutch cover! I am going to replace the washer and bolt and see if that will help. I am also getting O-ring and gasket for the spooge between pipe/cylinder. Then I will try doing re-jetting for the spooge from the silencer.

Thank you!

Mini ;)

MikeyG

Mod Ban
Nov 28, 2002
Originally posted by D36-108A
Maybe change your oil and/or ratio. Motul leaves me spooge-free, and they recommend you mix it at 50:1 or even 60:1, so there's less of it to create spooge.

Not another one trying to chase spooge with oil ratio. Hmmmmm. Spooge is a result of bad jetting. Look there first. Going from say 32:1 to 60:1 is going to give you more spooge because you just richened the jetting.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Not to beat a too dead horse, here...but this 'plug' thing bugs me.

Where on the clutch cover? Your reference to 'washer and bolt' regards a cover bolt? Maybe take a trip to buykawasaki.com and post a view/PN.

There isn't a bolt/washer to be replaced on the clutch cover that's going to stop any leakage.

There IS a seep hole in the water pump (might be considered to be on the clutch cover..it's on the clutch SIDE anyway)...but it's BEHIND the impeller, and shouldn't be leaking coolant at all unless there is a problem inside the pump.

Mikey's right. Don't confuse air fuel ratio (rich/lean) with premix ratios (40/50/whatever :1). Although some argue it's a matter of 'you say po-taw-toe, I say po-tay-toe', it's NOT.

I can look up EGs quote on the matter if you like. It's most likely NOT an oil issue, but an air/fuel issue.

Now...about that bolt on the clutch cover.....

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
As for the bolt on clutch cover, when Buddy and I went to the Kawasaki dealer, we first said it's a bolt on the water pump cover. Then we showed a service man where the bolt was on a KDX220 in the shop, and the man told us it's a bolt for clutch cover!?!?
Buddy (my boyfriend) replaced the right radiator for me in the past, and I think that's when the problem started. I don't see coolant dripping on any other places.
It's the bolt facing down from water pump (we think) or clutch cover or whatever.....canyncarvr, can you tell me what it is?

I'm sorry, but I'm dumb about technical stuff. I can't even name all the part correctly. However, I just started doing basic maintenance by myself like changing oil and cleaning air filter, so one day I hope to be able to do everything all by myself.

By the way, my oil ratio is 40:1.

Mini

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Mini,
Don't worry about the technical terms of parts on the bike if you don't know them. There is a brilliant site, however, that will help - which CC was trying to point you towards.

www.buykawasaki.com

There you have exploded diagrams of all Kawasaki's, part numbers, part names. You go to off-road bikes, then 220cc, and viola, the KDX comes up (my software doesn't load it properly, but it gets there). It splits into 3 windows - one to click on which part of the bike you want to look at, one with the picture of the parts & the other with the list of part numbers.
I think you want to look at the engine covers parts listing.

Don't feel dumb or ignorant about all this stuff, the guys just know whether it's a thingame or a whosemawatzit (plus buykawasaki helps hehehe).
Hope that helps with what thingamejig you need to fix.

BTW, these days I don't even do the oil or air filter often - Henk's decided it's easier to do when he's doing his bike (not much room to work in). And no way am I allowed to touch the top end - I'm impatient and get frustrated easily whereas he does his zen thing & enjoys it (but watch out if he's working on a four-wheeled vehicle, then zen goes elsewhere & the language starts flying lol).

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
When you get there, hover (put your mouse pointer on..don't have to click) on <vehicle information> then click on <view parts diagrams> to get to the model/year inputs.

Wasn't trying to be clever with the site name...assumed the 'www' as a known issue. Yeah...I know not EVERYthing is that way.

Anyway...are you refering to item 132D in the attached graphic?

There isn't a whole lot of sense in taking DRN space to display what's readily available elsewhere.....if 'they' gripe at me about it, I'll send 'em to you! ;) Point is to give you an idea of what buykawi.com has to offer. Posting a reply with the page name you're looking at, and the item number will allow others to see exactly what you're after.

It's the only bolt I see 'facing down' that's on the RH cover(s). Near the water pump even.....

Anyway.....point us in the right direction and at the very least you'll get an, 'I don't know!'

Don't sweat the 'dumb about technical stuff' part. The purpose of this forum is to help kdxr's out..not lambast them about what they don't know (well, there are cases some people are just begging to be smitten.......).

A desire and willingness to figure stuff out is a good thing.

Keep after it.

Thanks for the reminder, michelle. I gotta grease my kdx's whosemawatzit this weekend!!

+++edit+++
You mentioned having to top off your rad overflow..and you didn't think that was normal?

It is normal. Eventually you'll get tired of doing it...and QUIT doing it. Then you'll find that it DOESN'T matter! Fluid is ALWAYS getting lost from the reservoir due to bouncing and being upside-down from time-to-time. As long as the rads stay full (which they likely will even with the res NOT refilled) you're fine.

Some take off the res for better cooling and the less to worry 'bout. I tried that. THEN I lost fluid out of the rads. I put mine back on.

Cheers!

Attachments

• covers.jpg
    covers.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Thanks, Michelle and canyncarvr!

However, I still can't get the to place where I should be able to look at all the parts and stuff. I get lost where you said...
It splits into 3 windows - one to click on which part of the bike you want to look at, one with the picture of the parts & the other with the list of part numbers.
I don't see those 3 windows. Why? Am I looking at somewhere else?
Will you please give me the web address where I can spot those parts?

The parts numbers in the invoice of my order are 92022-1488 and 132Y0810.

Mini

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Okey tokey, start at the beginning.
www.buykawasaki.com
wait for it to load properly (this is where I realise how badly I need to update the puter)
click on "view parts diagrams" (near the bottom of the page)
It then comes up "vehicle information" and defaults to "motorcycle"
click continue
Select the "year" (it scrolls down)
Select the "cc" (so 220)
Select the "product type" (offroad bikes) (note: not playbikes, that's the kids ones I think)
Select "marketing name" (kdx220) - this column doesn't load for me
Hit continue

Now it will come up with a selection of one bike - the kdx220
Hit "click here to choose" which is at the bottom of the 2nd table (otherwise you end up in a circle - now, how do I know this lol)
It will now come up with a window which has 3 selections on it - manual, parts diagram and specifications.
We want the parts diagram.
You now have a window split into two. One says "Please select a component from the list on the left."
The left side has a list of different parts of the bike. Click on whichever one of those you want to look at. Now the right hand side splits into a list of part numbers and a picture (as posted by CC for the engine covers).
Using the #'s you gave us, this is what I find:
132D = 132Y0810 = BOLT-FLANGED-SMALL
92022 = 92022-1488 = WASHER,8.2X14X1.0

BTW, I don't think you're dumb (in case you're wondering) - I think my description was bloody disgusting, but I thought it was sort of obvious (guess I look around there a lot lol). I noticed CC had picked up some of my missed out steps, so thought I should load it while typing this reply, rather than trying to remember exactly what I'd done (yeah right, no wonder I lose nuts & bolts & forget where others go - doh! - and aren't trusted).

So yip, the prize goes to CC for picking the correct part :) CC, I didn't think you were being clever, I'd just realised that Mini hadn't realised it was a web address but as I'd loaded the page already, forgot half the steps. (okay, I take dumbass award)

Mini, now I hope you find what I mean by the window splits into 3 and can see the same as me. If it comes up blank or something, then your browser can't handle the site (I have that with whatever I use at work, so just don't visit there from work).
Michelle

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Michelle, thank you so much for the kind instruction.
I have been to buyKawasaki.com, but I didn't know I could look up the parts like the way you and canyncarvr showed me.
So I missed to click "View Parts Diagrams" in the very front page!!
Well, it looks like I ordered the parts I wanted in the picture, so I just wait till I get the parts to come in and see if it's going to stop the leak.
Thank you again!!! ;)
Mini

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Mini, not a problem. That's the best part about buykawasaki and other firms are slowly starting to do the same with putting parts diagrams online. (I think it's just shops though, rather than the importers). I still can't figure out what the heck that bolt is, but I'm not very good at reading diagrams (or maps - damn, I wonder if I'm good for anything, but doubt it lol).
I hope you've sorted out your bike for the new year - sounds like a good custom to have :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
So...you got to the buykawi site, right? Michelle's description sounds like it's of the site before their last upgrade. Maybe all servers aren't the same.**edit** Of course, michelle is right. You can get to the parts lists from links on either the top or the bottom of the page. Shoot! Probably blew my prize....:(

Anyway, if you got there OK, it doesn't matter WHAT the page 'looks' like.

I didn't want to 'lead' a possible response by actually NAMING the part you're looking it. I wanted to hear it from you.

Anyways...the part ordered is the coolant drain plug! What's hilarious about it all is that is exactly what you called it in the first place!! An assumption was made that it was the TRANNY drain plug you were talking about. That seemed pretty odd to me, so that's why I asked WHICH drain plug was the culprit.

..and now we know!

While it stands to reason that a damaged gasket on the coolant drain plug would leak, keep in mind that it still is a common thing to lose coolant from the reservoir on a ride. Doesn't have to be a screamin'-mimi ride, either. It disappears on a regular basis.

Oh goody! A prize!! YeeHAw!

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom