ABeeOnAnXR

Sep 10, 2000
So while this isn't dirt-related, I figured this would be the place to ask.

A friend recently brought me a moped he foolishly bought and hasn't used. It's a tiny little 50cc 4-stroker, and has been sitting outside for a few months. It kickstarts pretty readily, and will sit at idle for an indefinite period. The issue occurs when you go to give it throttle. If you are in neutral and SLOWLY crack the throttle, the engine will build RPMs nicely until it hits a certain point, at which point it sputters and will die unless you decrease throttle. Similarly, if you crack the throttle too quickly (anything beyond snail's pace) the engine will sputter and die.
Bear in mind that this is all in neutral. If you try to get the bike rolling, it dies pretty much instantly... the engine just won't take any load, even if you slowly rev it up a bit and ease out the clutch in first.

I worry that the spark plug isn't completely sealed; there is a slight hiss if you kick the engine over slowly... but I don't normally do my own engine work, so this could be normal. It could also maybe just be jetted too rich? Like I said, I'm a bit out of my element here, so do you guys have any thoughts? Thanks so much.

Top Bottom