bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
hey guys, i live in southern new mexico and i just have a few questions(sp?)
1) i took the seat off and drilled 3 holes 1/2 inch in the airbox to increase airflow. when i test rode it, i noticed if i gunned it really hard it would make the sound "buWAAAA" indicating it was running lean. how do i fix this? i heard/read that a bigger(112) main jet would help, but i'm new so how do you go about putting one in?
2) i run 88 (mid-grade) octane pump gas in it and it will still pop up the front tire if im not careful. would putting premium (90-91) make it run better? i heard/read higher octane kills throttle response will 91 do that?
3) after i (hopefully) re-jet it i am gonna put a 14 front sprocket on the front, from a 13. the current gearing is 13/54 wil the 14 help? i mainly ride(fast) desert trails so speed is important:p i was just wondering cuz i know that taller gearing slows down acceleration, but even with the bike running lean it has a LOT more power than stock ever since i drilled those holes.

any input will help, and anyone that wants to know how i "modified" my bike ill be glad to tell them cuz i had to figger it out by myself since i dont have a owners manual to tell me how to take the left sideplate or the seat off.(the right side is easy just stick yer finger in the ring and turn) well gotta post this if i want any response

laterz!!

Rob

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
Are you sure those holes are really making a difference cause i wouldn't think that would be enough to really increase air flow?
2) higher octane will just burn cleaner, but you probably will not see a performance gain going from mid-grade to premium.
3) regearing it will make it accelerate slower, but just from 3 1/2" holes your bike will not have enough power to feel like stock gearing with a bit more on top.

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
yeah, maybe nat a huge difference, but the other day when i tested it it popped up in a wheely through 2nd but i was on kinda hard dirt/sand/dust/gravel and i was trying to roost. it scared me, normally i have to lean back and pull/bounce to wheely.(remember ive only bin riding since christmas) plus, it was around 40 that day, so maybe the cold air helped a little bit. its normally 50-60 around here now, but in the summer it gets to 100+

laterz!!

Rob:silly:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Drill several more ½” holes in the top of your air box. Drill as many as will fit inside that ridge that runs around the top of the box. I drilled four one inch holes in my wife’s bike. Make it look like swiss cheese.

The sound you hear is air being drawn into the airbox and is normal. You did not hear it before because the flow was restricted. You check for a lean condition by removing the spark plug. If the tip is white or very light brown, it is running lean. IT WILL BE LIGHT (LEAN) IF YOU ARE STILL RUNNING STOCK JETTING.

The main jet is very easy to change. Drain the float bowl on the carb and then loosen both clamps (manifold and airbox sides). Now twist the carb and remove the large plug on the bottom. Look inside and you will see the main jet. Replace it with at least a 110 BEFORE YOU RIDE THE BIKE AGAIN! If you continue to ride it, the piston and cylinder may become “as one”. They may acquire carnal knowledge of one another. Then, you will really need a manual!

When you go to the dealer to buy a new main jet (about $10.00), BUY A MANUAL! The TTR125L comes with a great shop manual.

BTW, if you ever buy another used bike, insist that the manual be included with your purchase.

Good luck.

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
TTR125L will happily run with a 14 tooth front sprocket when the air box is opened up and the exhaust end tip opened up. Check outhttp:///www.ttr125l.com for some info on how to do it but remember to rejet the carb when you do modifications.

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
i just got back from red hills today, after putting the 14 sprocket on, cleaning and re-oiling the filter, shaving away the restrictor plate in the airbox, and filling the airbox top with abut 15 1/2 inch holes. the bike ran great, but im still running the stock jet, but im at like 5-6k feet up (i live in Alamogordo, NM about 20 mins away from white sands natnl. park) i beat my brother, dad, and some guy on a scrambler. (damn, that feels good to say that, pardon my french:confused: ) oh yeah, my dads an ASE-certified mechanic and he'd like to know how running lean would seize the motor.:think he says that its supposed to burn brown, and to just keep on riding it.

thanx for all the input,

Rob

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
oh yeah, my dads an ASE-certified mechanic and he'd like to know how running lean would seize the motor.

Running a 4 stroke lean makes it run hotter. Personnaly I don't think you have to worry about "seizing" the motor. Now running a 2smoke lean is a whole other story :) THAT will seize one up.

If the plug look good, press on.

Mac

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
Jetting at that elevation might be about right. Good to know that its going great. Try the mods to the exhaust and you will notice a bit (its not really much) more power. Noise goes up a little.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom