theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
I took my 5 yr old to I-81 Motorsports Park in Greeneville, Tn today for his first race. It wasn't pretty.

He went out for the practice round and crashed in the first turn. He got back on and made it up the big hill and down the back side. He got to the end of the back straight missed the turn and crashed again. Got him going in the right direction, cutting out half the track and he goes over the tabletop and the little whoop after it. Then the next thing I see, from across the track, is a little pair of legs flying through the air. Apparently, he went over the bars. End of practice session. :ugg:

Surprisingly, he agreed to go out for the first heat race. Remember, we are both new at this. I explained to him about how the starting gate works. We are waiting at the gate for his heat to begin. There is another class on the track, but not anywhere near the starting grid. All of a sudden, the gate drops. My son twists the throttle wide open and is off. The only problem is, they were just testing the gate. One of the track workers grabs him so that he doesn't get run over by the bigger bikes. When the guy grabs him, Jonathan goes down again. This time, he wants no more of it. We go back to the starting gate and wait for the actual start, crying. He never leaves the line.

We decide to stick around for a while so he could play. I also hoped he would give it one more try in the second heat. I was really surprised when he agreed to try again. Everything went great at the starting gate. He made it through the first set of turns and up the big hill, only laying it down one time near the top of the hill. He gets down the back side of the hill and through the back stretch. He comes to the switchback (or whatever you call a u-turn) and stops. Then he starts......crying that is, end of race.

He rides the hell out of his bike at home. Problem is, it's all grass and pretty smooth. No hills, jumps, or rough stuff. I need to get him used to the conditions he'll see on the track. He still wants to try it again but he just needs more time and practice.

Sorry this post is soooo long.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Hey man, for a 5 year old he's doing well. Take him out there for practice days, and he'll be riding it like a pro sooner than you can imagine! :)

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
joereitman said:
Hey man, for a 5 year old he's doing well. Take him out there for practice days, and he'll be riding it like a pro sooner than you can imagine! :)

Thanks for the encouragement Joe. I plan on taking him back on a slow day, maybe when they are racing elsewhere. I honestly thought he would buck on the whole thing. I was surprised he even got on the track.

bake

Sep 20, 2001
Is he having fun? if not it could ruin the experience for him! How many non track mile does he have under his belt, maybe a little more time in no pressure will help him along.

bake

1350CFM

Feb 25, 2004
Riding the track for the first time is pretty scarry (even for a 38 year old) Does your local track have a kiddie tracK? Riding grass is DEFINATLEY EASIER than a rough clay rutted MX track. Give him some time to learn to ride some rough stuff before you turn him loose with a bunch of other kids. He'll be ready SOON ENOUGH

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
"Is he having fun? if not it could ruin the experience for him! How many non track mile does he have under his belt, maybe a little more time in no pressure will help him along."

I agree 100%. He's only had his bike since x-mas. He rides a lot around the yard. That was the first time he's been on a track. I tried not to put any pressure on him today. I let him decide whether or not he wanted to go back out. Honestly, I'm not always the most patient person, but today, I tried very hard to be supportive and not pressure him.

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
1350CFM said:
Riding the track for the first time is pretty scarry (even for a 38 year old) Does your local track have a kiddie tracK? Riding grass is DEFINATLEY EASIER than a rough clay rutted MX track. Give him some time to learn to ride some rough stuff before you turn him loose with a bunch of other kids. He'll be ready SOON ENOUGH

No, they were racing on the same track as everyone else.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Dont give up on him, but dont push. I pushed to much when my oldest son was 5 or 6, and to this day he wont ride a bike...he does ride off road with me on a quad - and is getting fairly good at it now (age 13). My youngest son - did his 1st race at 7, did great, but just was not into it. I did not push, (at times it has seemed he could care less about riding - hard for me to deal with). I resisted pushing him though. In a few weeks he and i will enter a "family" enduro together - at his suggestion - his idea! When I asked him what he wanted for his birthday - his answer "Bark Busters"! Now..THAT made me happy!

I second the suggestion on the kiddie track - I could not imagine a new young rider on a "adult" track.

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that they should have used a separate track or used only part of the regular track for the little guys. However, none of the other kids seemed to have any real problems with the track. Jonathan didn't really have a lot of trouble with the condition of the track. His biggest problem, I think, was that he isn't used to riding on a track, the changes in elevation, sharp turns, other riders, etc.. Hopefully, a few more laps around the track, when he's ready, and he'll be good to go.

The last thing I want to do is to turn him off to racing. I want him to be excited about riding and racing. The nice thing about this weekend's race is that all of the "little guys" got plaques. Even though my son never finished a lap, he's got a 4th place plaque to hang on his wall. He was pretty happy about that.

Top Bottom