carnage

Mar 16, 2001
I've recently ordered a Renthal 52 tooth rear sprocket for my sons bike but when received realized it was for a 428 chain. I'm debating about returning it or to just go ahead with the chain conversion. Being new to this sport I was wondering if it was common practice to replace the 420 chain with a 428 and if so what are the benefits of this conversion?

Also, if I do go through with the conversion where can I find a front sprocket for that bike. The only one I've seen comes as part of a complete conversion kit (both front and rear sprockets)

Thanks,

Humdinger

Nov 29, 2001
I am interested in changing the chain over on my KX100 to a 428. Where did you find the complete change over kit at and how much was it.

carnage

Mar 16, 2001
Humdinger, I found the kit on Denniskirk.com. The part number is 80437150. This comes with a 13/50 gear combination and sells for $75.99, it's a Renthal part.

Any reason for your change?

Humdinger

Nov 29, 2001
Thanks for your help. The reason for the change over is my son has a TTR125 and while ridding at Hatfield McCoy last year he broke a 428H on the trail when we were about 18 miles from the truck. That was a long tow back as we didn't have any extra parts. I had to take a 428 standard master link and grind the chain links down so I could get smaller link snapped back togather. If a TTR125 can break a 428H I wouldn't put much faith in a 420 on a KX100. We do a lot of trail ridding and sometimes get 30 to 40 miles from our toolbox. Anything I can do to prevent a breakdown is money well spent.

Top Bottom