Sticky KDX Throttle...Sugesstions please???

Afterburn

Nov 1, 2004
I was out riding last weekend and my throttle kept sticking. It only seemed to happen through the tight woods of course. I was able to pull in the clutch and get it unstuck.

This is my first bike and I don't want to go poking around w/o somesort of idea of what to look for. I have a 99' KDX...could it just be time for new cables?

Thanks for the info in advance!

kdxtimmay

Dec 9, 2004
Cables are cheap and should be inspected once in a while. I would remove the cable and check that there are no kinks in the housing first. Also, cables can fray inside of the housing, make sure the cable moves freely. Cable lubers are cheap too. Another potential is that if you are running hand guards, dirt and crap can find it's way into and under the throttle tube and the handle bar. Make sure this is clean and then relubed. I do this exercise on every bike I have had especially after a muddy ride. Another thing to look at is routing of the cable. Turn the handle bars all the way lock to lock and check to see if you still have the recommended slack in the throttle cable at both extremes. If it gets tight, the routing is probably not correct. Another thing I have seen is where hand guards were installed and not enough of the grip was cut making the grip rub on the guard. Look at the entire system and get in the mode of checking out everything often. Dirt bikes will take tons of abuse but do need to be maintained after every ride. My 2 cents.

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Sometimes the throttle tube gets in too far and rubs the bar end. Could be from poor assembly or a recent crash. Loose the two screws on the throttle, and slide the throttle assembly out toward the end of the bar 1/4 inch. Should take care of it. Let us know what happens.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
i would start at the throttle barrel. i clean it with a shot of degreaser, and then lube it with silicon spray...does not attract dirt and does not absorb water.

cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
I'd replace the cable. In 2 years of riding I replaced 2 cables. I had the problem of throttle sticking too. It cost me a broken rib. I also rerouted the cable to make sure it would never happen again.

Afterburn

Nov 1, 2004
Thanks for the info!!!

Thanks for the information. I have my bike loaded and ready to go for Walker Valley tomorrow. I am going to check all suggestions tomorrow before I ride and let you know how it turns out. Hopefully, if I need new cables I can get through tomorrow's ride.

Through tight areas I'll make sure to keep my hand on top of the clutch...just in case.

Thanks...

Afterburn

Nov 1, 2004
Update

Went riding on Sunday at Walker Vaelly and had a great time. After checking all of your suggestions and cleaning up some dirt. The throttle only stuck twice on me.

I think I am going to change the cables because it is kinda scarry and takes away from my riding potential.

Thanks again for the info!!!

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I've had the same problem lately. Mine cost me a few stitches in my throttle hand. I replaced my throttle cable, but it did it again twice when I raced Sunday. This time I was able to grab the cutch until I "unstuck". I still don't know what is causing it. I recently had my gas tank off. Maybe it's a routing problem. Any more suggestions?

KDXMAC

Sep 13, 2004
throttle stuck

removing the tank for me is what did it, cable was about 1" from it's normal position and got stuck on hard right turn of the bars, cable position is the most common problem, check it from top to bottom making sure it moves freely though the whole bike, especially the top of the carb and where the cable runs past/through the tank and headlight assembly. :cool:

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
1) Make sure the cable is routed properly, as per the service manual. The cable was not routed properly on my brand new KDX.

2) Change the throttle guide inside the throttle boddy (a 2$ item). Worked for me.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom