Suzuki 185 Help. Engine Racing at Idle

Spook

Dec 2, 2005
Hey Guys,

I've got this Suzuki 185. Its a 1985 I think.

The problem I have is that when I had it going it would start reving really high when in neutral and having no throttle. The only adjustment thats on the carb is the idle and I think its correctly set. Maybe its incorrect for optimal engine temp. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Other than that the throttle cables seem to be working ok and not sticking.

Also I was wondering if there is any tricks to cleaning suzuki carbs. Right now the darn thing isn't starting well. It takes a while to start and some times I have to use Quickstart to get it going. I've had it apart and cleaned but it didn't seem to do much good. I'm very good with other small engines such as lawnmowers and snowblowers but these Asian carbs sort of boggle me.

Any help would be much apreciated.

Thanks

Kyle
Canada

bleeds

Oct 17, 2005
Revving could be the cable not adjusted correctly. Look for an adjustment right at the carb where the cable goes in. It should/could be an inline adjustment.

AS for starting. See if it starts better if you push start it. If so, might be a worn top end. Just my 2 cents. I am just learning this, so wait till one of the more experienced guys chimes in..
Bleeds
PS Revving could also be air leak somewhere too. (crank seals on the ignition side, carb boot, etc)

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
that 185 is a four stroke right? and a quad to boot right? i could be wrong....but please confirm. if you "cleaned the carb" and it still does not start well, did you clean the PILOT jet or just the main? when you open the carb, the main is usually dead center staring at you - the pilot sits waaaay down inside a small orifice in the carb - usually you need a small thin, long flathead screwdriver to take it....when I first started working on bikes when I was like 15, I cleaned the hell out of my carb and the bike still didn't start - well that's because I never cleaned the pilot.

Spook

Dec 2, 2005
Its a bike actually. And I will double check the throttle cable going into the exhaust and try to pull out the pilot. I can't remember if I did or not. Is it located inside the float area. Or in the side of the carb?

Thanks for the help guys. Anymore tips?

Kyle

Top Bottom