ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
Well, I've got the new (new for me anyways, compared to the old TS) YZ running good with 1st gear and new rings, and now I want to start jumping, and possibly trying a motocross race next year... but everytime I try to jump, I wind up stopping at the last second. I used to jump this hill in my yard all the time, but don't anymore because I hurt my shoulder doing it, so I think that has something to do with it. The other day I was out riding with my friend, and he was trying to help me into jumping the smallest jump on his track he has in his yard, and every time I got right there I would quickly stop, and then he had a larger pit he was trying to teach me to climb the side of it in 1st, which would give me a bit of air at the top, but I couldn't do it.. I guess what my question is, how should I go about teaching myself to jump?? I need to learn to do it eventually, so I might as well do it now.

Jun 12, 2005
The very first thing you have to learn is not to think about it and just have balls and give'r. Thats how i learned on a small jump and just kept on trying and not letting it get to my mind. But before you go out and jump read up on some of the posts if you dont have a complete understanding on what your doing.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Roll over it at first and then progressively get faster, but keep your technique good each time. If your technique starts to fail at a certain speed, then don't go any faster until you can do it right at that speed. The things to do (even if you're just rolling the jump) are stay standing up and forward (head and chest out over the bars), accelarate smoothly well ahead of the jump and stay consistent on the throttle through it, and finally when you're coming off the ground get on the gas the instant your back on the ground (this softens the impact a ton, not to mention you'll be going faster this way). The last point was a big one for me, I'd get in the air and freeze up and then hit the ground like a sack of bricks! Our riding instructor got on that right away. BTW, a riding class or 3 is probably is a great idea.

Good luck!

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
thats what i do. i roll over the jump to get the feel of it. and then on the 2nd time around i commit myself to it and go for it. its only a little 2-1/2 foot jump. it gets kinda fun.

Haycock Kid

Oct 15, 2005
I'm a real newbie and I don't know what I'm doing, but last month a user recommended a video and others highly recommended it also, but for the life of me I cannot find it again.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Top Bottom