atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Hey all, 3am and can't sleep, so I thought I'd share the days activities with ya'll. Today I got a few buddies to come out to the local track that I ride with a few other local guys. They drove their truck down, while I rode the snowmobile trails from my house. It was lots of fun, 3 YZ125s, a KTM125, and a TTR125 were tearing up the rain soaked track for a few hours between downpours. Anyways, when we decided we were done they were going to load up the truck and meet me at my house, so we could grab Pizza. So I went ripping on home, alone, like I usually do.

There is a bridge on this snowmobile trail, about a mile and a half from my house. Its a good bridge too, 6 feet wide, maybe a 25 foot span across a creek. All wooden deck. Anyways, it was pretty damp from all the rain. The last thing I remember was I started going acrossed it in maybe 4th gear, clipping right along. The very next thing in line in my memory is standing at my kitchen sink with my dad washing out some deep cuts in my arm, my head throbbing like no tomorrow, and my shoulder not moving very well. Apparently I rolled up to my house, and they were waiting. I cracked my helment, and BROKE a pair of Renthal bars. Broke them clean right at the clamp on the throttle side, the brace was the only thing hold the piece of the bars together. I have no memory what so ever about the crash. Not a thing about going down, or getting up, or riding home. The first thing I can remember after seeing the bridge is standing at the sink. Kinda scary. We eventually walked down to take a look and try and figure out what happend. Judgeing by the marks on the bridge, I started to spin the rear tire as I went across, and got very sideways. When I hit the other side, which is good sized railroad bed rocks, you can see where the bike went down, and I tore out a huge section of brush with my body, after hitting the ground. I must have got back up and rode the thing home, but I sure don't remember it.

Kinda scares me when things like this happen. I've had my bell rung once before, I lost short term memory for a little bit, but it all came back. Its been like 16 hours, I have absolutely no recolection of anything past seeing the bridge. I must have been only semi-concious of something till I finally started coming around at home. My head still hurts a little, and my shoulder is definatly bruised up really really bad. My neighbor is an EMT, so she checked me out, nothing trashed too bad. Can't really move the shoulder much, but the heads feeling good. Pretty scary.

I haven't gone out to look at the bike and check for the extent of damage yet, I know the bars are broke, my buddies made it a point to show me that, but I wasn't really with it enough to check her over good. They said it sounded fine when I rolled up. I usually ride real careful when I'm by myself, it was just one of those freak accidents. You can bet I won't do anything more than just idle over that bridge from now on though!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Get yourself checked out soon.  You may have a more serious injury than you think.  Also, try real hard NOT to ride by yourself.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
What BSWIFT says goes. Get checked out. Keep us posted. :ugg:

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
I had the same sort of experince 2 weeks ago, but no where near as bad as what you had. Me and a mate went for a quick blast down the river bank where we live just to have a shake down before racing the next day. I was leading him in and out of the trees at a good pace and then i didnt see this ditch until the last mintue and the front wheel dropped in and i went over the front and landed on my head and back. The ditch has been dug by someone that has that sort of machine, the local council is my guess. I dont remember anything leading up to it, after about 10mins i got up, the wind was knocked out of my completely and i had a look and asked my mate what happened, the sorest part were and still are my ribs. The few days after my neck and ribs were sore the day after racing and yesterday when i went racing, breathing was hard. I bent my Renthal bars which pi$$ed me off. After a whiles on our way back after riding i had a look at the ditch again and theres no way of you knowing its there unless you know its there.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Yea, it was definalty a weird type incident. I usually ride with others, the only time I was by myself was getting down to the track we were riding, a 5 minute ride or so over very easy terrain. I'm going back down to the bridge today to investigate the markes more. I have a hard time believing I was stupid enough to lay into the gas across a wet wood bridge, perhaps I had to panic brake, I know a lot of people walk their dogs on the trail I was riding. I still can't remember anything about crashing or riding home. Feeling pretty good though, I played a gig last night and was moving around quite a bit. Neck and head feel good, the shoulder hurts, but its working good, and the ribs, well, they hurt some. I may go get them checked out today.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Definitely get it checked out. If anything you got a concussion and they take a long time to heal properly. Any more hits or even moving your head too fast can cause serious injury. When my so got a concussion he was told to not even run because it would jar his head too much.

I had a similar crash 25 years ago on a BMX bike on the track during intermission at a race. I endoed off a down hill jump and crashed pretty hard. I wandered back to the pits but don't remember doing it. To this day I don't remember what happened. I ended up in the hospital for 2 days with a bad concussion and a broken arm.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Un-used wet wooden bridges are the worst. They get a moss mold on them and its just like a greased steel rail. Youll come around so quick you wont know what happened even if you do remember. I was riding a mountain bike at Blue Marh state park, its a 30 mile loop around a resivior and not many people get around to the back side as the terrain is hilly. I was crossing a wooden bridge with no railings, the trail turned 90 degrees hard right just on the far side of the wet bridge, I know not to brake, turn or pedal on these things as my buddy went down in front of me on his bike earlier that day and resigned to walking across the rest of the bridges (just as bad with SPD clipless bike shoes on IMHO as he fell twice just walking!) I put one half a pedal in nice and smooth as my front wheel came off the bridge and started the turn with the rear wheel still on the wood and it was all I could do to hit the brakes as the bike spun 180 and my front tire was down the bank of the river the bridge just crossed! I was fine as I was able to get stopped. Nasty stuff, consider it planked ice when its wet. Take er easy on your head like was siad man! Your lucky you were not hurt worse or knocked out and in the water or someting!

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
The head honestly feels fine today, probably just a bad concousion. I may call the doc about the ribs though, they definatly are hurting more today that yesterday. Will keep you all posted. In the mean time, if anybody wants to Fedex a pair of bars to me, I gotta leave for school right after Broom-Tioga on sunday, and I wanna get out again before then! Then again, it might be best just to take it easy a few days, another spill would probably hurt a lot more than it normally would. Have to see how I'm feeling toward the end of the week. I did go out and check the bike over today, I was pretty amazed to find everything else was just fine. No dents in the pipe, forks were straight, nadda. Just the snapped off bars. I'll grab pictures eventually.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
If you are unwilling to go get yourself checked out and get the doctors ok dont go out again for a bit. Make sure your ok!

I have a pair of 7/8" doug henry bend bars with 1" cut off each end but unless I see a doctors note I won't even think of shipping them off them till after the nationals end

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom