The people we have to thank, for all we have . .

TrailDale

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 14, 1999
Captain Kangaroo turned 75 last June which is odd, because he's never looked a day under 75. ) (Birthday 6/27/27) It reminded me of the following story.

Some people have been a bit offended that Lee Marvin is buried in a grave alongside three and four star generals at Arlington National Cemetery. His marker gives his name, rank (PVT) and service (USMC). Nothing else. Here's a guy who was only a famous movie star who served his time, why the heck does he rate burial with these guys?
Well, following is the amazing answer: I always liked Lee Marvin, but did not know the extent of his Corps experiences. In a time when manyHollywood stars served their country in the armed forces, often in rear echelon posts where they were carefully protected, only to be trotted out to perform for the cameras in war bond promotions, Lee Marvin was a genuine hero. He won the Navy Cross at Iwo Jima. There is only one higher Naval award ... the Medal of Honor. If that is a surprising comment on the true character of the man, he credits his sergeant with an even greater show of bravery.

The following comes from a dialog from The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson a number of years ago: His guest was Lee Marvin.........Johnny said, "Lee, I'll bet a lot of people are unaware that you were Marine in the initial landing at Iwo Jima. . and that during the course of that action you earned the Navy Cross and were severely wounded." "Yeah, yeah... I got shot square in the butt and they gave me the Cross for securing a hot spot about halfway up Suribachi. . bad thing about getting shot up on a mountain is guys gettin' shot hauling you down. But Johnny, at Iwo I served under the bravest man I ever knew... We both got the Cross the same day, but what he did for his Cross made mine look cheap in comparison. The dummy actually stood up on Red beach and directed his troops to move forward and get the hell off the beach.

That Sergeant and I have been lifelong friends. When they brought me off Suribachi we passed the Sergeant and he lit a smoke and passed it to me lying on my belly on the litter and said, 'Where'd they get you Lee? Well, Bob ... if you make it home before me, tell Mom to sell the outhouse!

Johnny, I'm not lying........ Sergeant Keeshan was the bravest man I ever knew..... Bob Keeshan.... You and the world know him as Captain Kangaroo.".............

I guess this was Hollywood "Back in the Day".
What a change.

Last edited:

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
marvin just mispoke, after being shot in the butt he forgott where he was, it happens, and he was actually talkin to and sharing a smoke with Mr greenjeans.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Mr. GreenJeans and Mr. DressUp.... never on TV at the same time.

Hmmmmm - one in the same?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom