To Be Different...and possibly orange

mike rasponi

May 20, 2001
okay....i currently have an '99 KX250 and have learned to love it (its a blazin 250) ported, pipe, chrome tag bars and triple clamps, all black plastic, polished aluminum swing arm (matches the bars and chrome pc pipe nicley ;) ) but the bike will be soon sold towards my upcoming car. now, after my car is bought and squared away i will have a dilema, what to buy what to buy :) i am considering a KTM250SX or possibly 125SX, my father has a 400EXC and i am very, very impressed with build quality and performance (baby floats over chop) but i just dont know. i dont want to be another blue or red bike at the track, and the KTM's look VERY apealing...is there any other possibilitys i should look to? what about gas gas? i saw a few of those bikes and they look similarly good in build quality and standard equipment, are they trail only? at 16 it takes a long time to make 6K and i really dont wanna waste it. how would a 250/125SX compare to my KX? any opinions or anything like that on the bikes or any other possibilitys i should consider? ...CR450F has crossed my mind also but i just dont know. how would a 250SX stack up? and were can i see the 01/02 gas gas model line up?

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
too many bikes, too many decisions... what is your riding preference? location, experience? weight? 2 stroke? 4 stroke? american? japanese? european? Let us know the specifics so we can help you. :)

mike rasponi

May 20, 2001
whoops!

duh should have posted that, newbie mistake :confused: im 5'7 145lbs ride all sorts, motocross, woods, trail, fire roads, hill climbs, and i consider myself a pretty experienced and agressive rider. i dont really want another jap built bike because everyones got one, i dont want to be "another blue or red bike on the track" ya know? as to the four stroke/two stroke issue i have only been exposed to two strokes accept for my fathers 01' 400EXC which is very nice, but the only four stroke im really looking at is the CR450F and even so....i have short legs and not to much weight to throw into kicking a bike over, especially if im tired/fatigued. I want something light and nimble with alot of power. its really a battle between the KTM125SX/KTM250SX/CR450F but i would like to see the gas gas model line up before i make a decision. i remember looking one over in the dealership and they are drop dead georgous and looked very very well built, much like a KTM. anyone know gas gas's web site? and one other thing, can somone describe the 250SX's handling/weight to me? hows it feel on the track? i dont want another brute like my KX, want something more flickable hence why im concidering the 125 also.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I have heard "rumor" of a possible KTM 200 SX in 2003. That might be the hot ticket, same frame as a 125, and almost the power of a 250...
I cant recommend any motocross bikes as I ride only woods. I have a KTM and can attest to their superiority in craftsmanship over japanese bikes. I have heard nothing but good stuff about the Gas Gas bikes also. If you are considering a 4 stroke, at least consider a Cannondale, I rode one this last weekend and it was an eye openner, very nice bike, maybe not for everyone, but VERY nice bike. With the mappable ignition, you could change it from woods to MX pretty easily... and the "magic" button makes starting effortless.

Rev_iT

Mar 3, 2002
Hey. Maybe a TM is something for you. They make 125/250 2 strokes and 250/400 4 strokes. Their website is www.mototm.com . I think they're one of trickest bike out there. And you say you have an agressive style. Then you should consider a KTM125 or a TM125.

bte

~SPONSOR~
May 1, 2001
I'm with Rev_iT, if you want something that will stand out, drop the K out of KTM and go TM ( twsusa.com ). You can get the TM-E(enduro) and it will keep up with anything on the track or in the woods. The worst thing about a TM is the resale on a TM is as bad as it get in the dirtbike world. But, that means you can pick up a year old bike for about half the price of a new one. There are alot of nice bike to pick from, just pick one that fits you. Good Luck

brown

mike rasponi

May 20, 2001
never thought of that

wow a TM huh? i thought they are crazy expensive though, but you say their resale is bad? all the better for me then, if i can find a 2001 left over...think its possible? i heard very very good things about there 125 due to its advanced methods of cooling, very reliable also. uh oh 125SX, you may of just got some compition ;) okay tell me anything and everything about the TM's, including how much a 01 left over or slightly used would cost me. also, they arent very popular are they? why not if they work as well as the review i saw in dirtrider (or was it dirtbike?) guy rode it for the spanish ISDE and said it was bullet proof, screamed it like a weed wacker and dropped the clutch during the whole race, never squealed in the slightest. Is it compareable to the KTM125SX? why are they so incredibly expensive? were in the world would i find one used? :think thanks for bringing this option up!

Rev_iT

Mar 3, 2002
I don't know where you're from. But outside Europe I heard it's hard to get a TM. What I know about the TM 125 is that it has to be ridden agressively. And you can scream the hell out of it. I've never ridden one, but I think it's comparable with the KTM 125 SX. It is also build very well, just like the KTM, but I think better. One thing you should remember is that the TM uses a lot of parts from other bikes. A little example. Frontfender is from Yamaha, rearfender is from Kawasaki. And I think that the wheels, hubs, brakes, sprockets etc. also are exchangable with other brands, but I don't know that for sure.

bte

~SPONSOR~
May 1, 2001
A left-over or used TM 125 00-01 would be around $3500 but you might find better . There just isn't many TM around the USA or any where else, TM just doesn't make many bikes (2000-2500 a yr.). But you can find them. I haven't rode a 125 but I do have a 250E. From what I have heard the bike is a great ride and bullet proof. Their are some others around here that have owned and raced the 125's, manybe they will drop-in and give you their thoughts on the bike. I will say that I have never heard anyone say anything bad about the performance of the TM's and that includes me. It just depends on what you are looking for in a bike. I take that back I have heard people say bad things about the paioli forks. But all it needs is a revalve like almost every other bike out there. They can be made can to work very well with very little work. I ended up revalving my own forks and I'm very pleased with it.

brown

Top Bottom