dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
I just want to know how hard is it to change out a top end on a 2000 rm250?

I have the manual and I am fairly mechanically incline and I just want to know how difficult it is?

Is there any special tools that I would need and any major modification that I will have to do? Or do I just have to swap out he old rings and piston with new ones.

Also would there be any tunning involved after the new one is in place?

I also did a search and found out that there is a break in period for a new top end. Do you know how long that break in period should last.

Any advice would be helpful and if you have easier instructions than the actual manual please send them.

john221ex

May 1, 2006
break-in

You might want to just start it up and let it get warm, without riding, the first time. Then, you let it cool completely.
Repeat, then when warmed, ride gently for a few minutes up to half throttle.
Repeat that, working up to 3/4 throttle.
Then you will have seated the rings, and it will be unlikely to stick.
I have always followed this procedure and never, ever had a seizure.

john

souphmars

Mar 8, 2004
i have an 02 rm250, and i put new topend in it at the first of the year - it is not hard to do at all - make sure you clean th epowervalve while you have the cylinder off - for breaking it in what i do is start it up , and let it get hot, and then let it cool completely- then i start it up let it get hot, and ride it around going about 1/4 throttle, cut it off and let it cool - then repeat to 1/2 throttle - then repeat to 3/4 throttle, while winding it out a few times - then u r ready to go -

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom