saddletramp

Oct 6, 2006
I know this is pretty easy to alot of you, but this will be my first attempt at piston and rings. I have been known to foul stuff up pretty good and can use all the advice I can get. I picked up my service manual and ordered a Wiseco kit and Cometic gasket set, and also bought a torque wrench. The best way to gain knowledge is from experience so as soon as I get my parts, I am going to start. Any input would be appreciated.

captbly99

May 30, 2005
Another word of caution......

make sure you seat the circlips fully that hold the wrist pin in the piston, also don't "over work them" or squeeze them too much, I think I did that to mine and it just flew out in about 3/4's mile on the test ride.

On my 1st top end, that was my expensive way of gaining knowledge!

Cost me another piston and luckily picked up a descent used cylinder from Fredette.

Just thought I would pass that on, it is fairly easy.

Also make sure you keep the rings lined up on the little alignment pin things on the piston when slipping the cylinder over it, easiest is to have another person helping you, but it can be done with one person.

Good luck!

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Take note of all the timing marks on the power valves before disassemble.After you take off the left hand nut from the kips shaft. Check the gear coming from the cylinder to make sure it turns freely back & fourth if not you will need disassemble all the valves and clean them.

saddletramp

Oct 6, 2006
Awesome, this is just what I was looking for. It seems that there is always a easier way to do something, would you suggest buying a pair of circlip pliers? I dont mind spending a few bucks on tools if it will save me some grief. :yell: Any other tools worth picking up? If my 6 year old continues with his racing I have a feeling I will be doing this alot. Thanks for the help.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
A pin puller for the piston wristpin is a nice tool to have. They can be pretty stubborn to get out sometimes, and the age old method of slipping a 3/8" extension in there and beating it out with a hammer isn't the greatest solution, but does work.

I would suggest definitely pulling the KIPS apart and cleaning it. www.bikebandit.com has scanned microfiche diagrams under there "OEM Parts" section that will help you with reassembly if you forget where all those little parts go.

If you need a specific picture of something let me know. I pulled the top end on my 220 last night and will have it apart at least a few days while waiting for parts.

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
That left hand KIPS shaft nut usually has some pretty good Locktite on it. I found that a little carefull heating with a propane torch reduces the stress required to loosen that nut

Makeshoes

Nov 9, 2004
I would suggest setting down with your old piston, old piston pin and old circlips and practice installing these a number of times. Do it until you have a system down. Then do it for real with your new parts on your bike. Make sure the opening on the circlips is either at 12:00 or 6:00 o'clock position (check your manual). Then triple or quadruple check your circlips for full seating. These little buggers can cost you big time if they come out. Believe me I know! Good Luck! :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom