TT-R125, TT-R225, CRF 150, CRF 230, or a 2 stroke 85??

Drtbke1210

Apr 6, 2004
hi, i am 5'3" and sadly 95 lbs. :( I have never ridden before but i have many people to ride with.I have found many good deals on bikes such as 2001 TT-R 225 for $1500 (imac. cond.), a 2003 yz85 $2000 + tax. I have also found deals on tt-r125's but none on the CRF's. any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
Eric
:aj: :worship: :aj:

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I would take a good look at the 85cc 2 strokes. If height permits they are really great bikes. I had a YZ80 last year that was a great bike, but i'm 5'7'' so the bike had to go. Are you partial to new bikes or Yamahas? What do you plan on riding? Does electric start hold a preference for you? Why dont you see if you can bum a few rides off of friends and see what works best for you. What do your freinds ride? If you are any bit agressive you will most likely outgrow the TTR 125. But it is a good beginner bike. It comes in a few different models too. The TTR125, which has 17/14inch wheel combo and kick start, the TTR125E, which has the 17/14in wheel combo and eletric start, and the TTR125LE, which has 19/16in wheel combo and electric start. The CRF150 is basically the same as the TTR, but with 25ccs more. The 2 stroke 85s have more power than the 4 stroke 125s, are lighter, have better suspension, but are made to be ridden, they can be modded for woods riding but if you are just going to be doing strictly woods, and dont really want ot mess around with mods then you should get a TTR. The RM/KX85s are more ideal for beginners because they have a bit more bottom end power, due to powervalves, than the more race-oriented CR/YZs. Also KTM makes an 85cc bike, if is quite a bit faster than the japenese bikes, but may still have some issues, since it has only been in production a couple years. Do Not get the TTR225. They are real heavy and have outdated motors. The only TTRs that are worth a look are the 125 and 250. Also the CRF230, is real heavy and doesnt have much more power than the 150. The only real difference is that it has electric start.
YZ85
seat h

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Seat Hieght/Weight
YZ85- 34 in/ 146 lbs
TTR125E- 30.5in/ 179 lbs (electric start)
TTR125LE- 31.7in/ 179 lbs (electric start 17/19 wheels)
TTR125L- 31.7in/172 lbs (17/19 wheels)
TTR225- 34.2in/259lbs (you would NOT want this bike)
TT250- 36in/249lbs (or this one either)
RM65- 30in/126lbs (just threw this in here as an option)
RM85- 33.5in/143lbs
RM85L- 34.4in/152 lbs (17/19 inch wheel combo)
SX65- 29.5/ 122lbs
SX85- 35.4/150lbs
KX65- 29.9/126lbs
KX85- 33.1/143lbs
CR85- 32.8/144lbs
CR85Expert34.5/145lbs (17/19 wheel combo)
CRF150- 32.5/216lbs
CRF230- 34.1/238lbs (electric start)

Take into consideration that all of the above mentioned 4 strokes are air cooled, and a few of them still have drum brakes in the rear, as opposed ot disc. These are stats from '03 models. I added the 65s in becasue i dont know your inseam to determine what would be the ideal seat hieght. KTM, Suzuki and Kawasaki are the only companys that make the 65s. Suzuki and Honda make 85s with the 17/19 inch wheel combos compared to the regular 17/14. KTM and Kawasaki make 100cc versions with larger wheels. The KTM makes an SX105, Kawasaki, a KX100. Also, Suzuki made an RM100, that recently got discontiuned from lack of buyer interest that is the same as the KX100. Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki all make 1255cc 4 strokes. They are basically all the same except for aftermarket support, in which Yamaha has the most. The larger bikes like the 4 stroke 230/250s will be much to heavy and large for you, IMO. Hope i helped, by the way i just happened to have alot of free time today.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Your AIM sn is wetwilly1210, right? Mine is addictadvocate, we has talked before. Lol, you seem real hell bent on gettin a new bike. Most of the 85s are the from about '94 up. An older bike, if its in good working order, will be cheaper and last you a while during the learning curve, before you become way too tall for it. Stop worryin so much, you'll find something, :D.

GreenMan

Feb 1, 2001
These are apples and oranges

You have some real different bikes identified here. My first advice is to make sure you know what you want to use the bike for. Trails or MX. For the trails you will want a little more torque and a little less zip. At least when you start. Most people want a little of both. If you think you want more of a challenge then go with the MX bike. If you want something a little tamer go with the ttr or crf. The crf is more in the middle but I am as familiar with the crf. My suggestion is to find bikes to ride and see what you like. Most of your friends with bikes should let you take a spin. I would also tell you to get a similar type of bike as they are riding if you will ride with them. You will get similar performance and have similar limitations.

Good luck! :aj:

Drtbke1210

Apr 6, 2004
I think i've narrowed my searched down to either a TT-R125 LE (new), or a 2003 yz85 for $2000. any other sujustions. Oh BTW, this will be my FIRST BIKE. I would appreciate it if you considered that i have never ridden anything with a clutch.
Thank you
Eric

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Eric what kind of riding do you plan to use the bike for? The TT-R125's are great bikes but not if your planning to hit the MX track as your main riding. We bought my son a brand new 02 TT-R and 3 weeks later he decided he wanted to try racing. That meant the TT-R had to go and we ended up with a 2 stroke 80.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
I would look into a KX-100 (2-stroke) if you decide on a mini-mx bike for your purchsae. The CR and YZ 80/85s dont have powervalves and are designed for top end power and are pretty much only good at the track. Which I still prefer an RM or KX powervalved bike with low end power over the YZ and CRs at the track anyway, but thats just me. With the YZ, you will rip the throttle back and it will take a few seconds until the thing finally takes off like hell. This makes it hard and uncomfortable to ride in some areas, expecially for a beginner.

TTRs, XRs, etc are all good beginner bikes, but you will outgrow them so incredibly fast. Lots of kids around here rides MX bikes for everything, because they are suitable for just about anything. They have tons of power and great suspension and 2-strokes are really easy to work on. If your 4-stroke ever breaks, you will have to bring it into a shop, if a 2-stroke breaks you will be able to repair it yourself most likely.

kcthekilla1

Jun 15, 2004
any 85 would be great for you because if you get the ttr in a couple of week you will get boared of it cause there like no kind of power but a 85 2 stroke you could drive for a long tim and never get board of the power

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
boy I think thats a pretty broad statement kcthekilla1 .... I had a mini-bike that was a blast to ride untill I bought a MT125 which was a blast to ride untill I bought a KX125, which was a blast to ride untill I bought a.... well, you get the idea.... its all a matter of perspective, and what you intend to do with the bike....

You still havent said what it is you intend to do.... and what your buddies are riding (chasing your buddies on their CR80's will not be much fun on a mini-bike)

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Many years ago when I was 5' 10" and 145 lbs. I had a blast on a 125 4-stroke as my first bike. I would've had trouble controlling the the extremely strong and narrow power band of a modern 80/85cc moto x bike. Remember, the power goes from nothing to crazy in a very narrow RPM spread. You are constantly shifting to keep it "on the pipe". If that's what you want, great, but that is not very conducive to very many different riding conditions. You'll need lots of skill to be able to master that kind of power delivery, especially when you're riding the bike in conditions other than it was designed for (ie. moto x). The broad and friendly power characteristics of a 4-stroke as well as a lower 1st gear and a higher geared top gear will give you allot more versatility in a bike. Wrestling too much power (or explosive power) or too much weight are the fun killers in riding a dirt bike for me.

Top Bottom